• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Rock Moving thru SoCal

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how wide spread the media coverage is on this or if you are all even interested in this huge piece of granite that is being moved about SoCAl. The story is the 340 ton (that's 5.4 M1A1 tanks) rock is traveling from a quarry in Riverside, CA to Hollywood, CA at the LA County Museum of Art to be placed on some sort of artsy levitated/suspended display:roll:.

To get to the MV content...Now, I'm not very interested in the artsy point of all this, but the machinery that is being used is awesome. Emmert International is handling all the moving. They have some pretty heavy duty haul tractors. Of particular note, and you can see it in the video, is an OshKosh M911 HET (sans pusher axle) on rear helper duty

I caught a glimpse of the M911 on the news yesterday and was like, "WHOA!". So, I found a decent video of it at work. Enjoy...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuu_zhDlsw&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:

ryan77

I saw it on the news here in chicago! 10 million to move a rock!!! These people are nuts we have kids starving in america and some goof spends 10 mil to move a rock!!!

Speedwoble

What was the truck at the very front?
Very impressive. Reuters article said the trailer was 294 ft long. I cannot imagine navigating that around LA. Article also said they had two 600 HP trucks, one front and one pushing, but that video looks like they needed a little more help than two.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice heavy haul. I hope not one penny of tax money went to move this rock . If it's all private money more power to them. 2cents
Well, if it is for the LA County Art Museum, I'd bet that wasn't private money. Actually, just found out the move of the rock (estimated at 1.5 mill) is being taken care of by private donations. The total project is expected to cost between 5 and 10 million, no idea if all of that is private funds or tax dollars.

Rant would go here, but would violate the political rules for the site! :)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make you wonder how the Egyptians did the pyramids...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[thumbzup] Ancient Aliens rocks!

two.fiveM35

I saw it on the news here in chicago! 10 million to move a rock!!! These people are nuts we have kids starving in america and some goof spends 10 mil to move a rock!!!
I was going to post the same thought. What a waste of money, when they talked about it on the news I knew it was in California before they mentioned it. I can say that because I am from OC.

CycleJay

That is a shame, THAT much time, money & effort to move a rock, the project, etc.
When there are many homeless people out there, that really need help.
All that just for the sake of some un-necessary art project.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mr. Emmert is getting rich, for sure. Fellas, I live in the thick of all this artsy-fartsy crud:roll::roll::roll::roll:. I don't subscribe to any of it unless it benefits our troops or veterans. I will refrain from getting political about all this though. But, The vehicles were really cool.

VP17IFT

A couple of years ago I saw a similar rig moving parts for the nuc plant at New Brunswick in NC down US70 near Kinston, not as many pusher and puller tractors but the trailer/carrage system was powered at the rear.