• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big truck ins?

Rene M

Well, i was told by my ins company that they are not interested in insuring my 5 ton. So who are you guys using and what are the rates like?
Thanks for all of your time..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton means over 26,000 GVW, that falls under TXDOT rules regardless of use, min liablity is 500,000. I use Progessive Commercial, but it took some sweet talking by my agent to get them to write a policy for an army truck.

gunit

i pay 96.00 a year for my 5 ton, at american collectors with a 2500 mile limit and it has to be stored inside. it did take some talking cause they only insure up to 1 ton trucks. looks like hagerty might be even better. if thats the case i will be with hagerty when this premium is up.

tommygun

Be VERY CAREFUL with collector insurance ,make sure you understand all restrictions and will comply with them .Otherwise you could find yourself in a bad situation in the event of a accident. I had Hagerteys untill I called to ask about the no hauling restriction .I asked if going to Home Depot to get a dozen 2x4s in my duece would qualify as "hauling" . Answer was YES ,policy would not pay in case of accident . I changed companys , got commercial liability policy. Better to pay a little more and be able to sleep at night ,than to have to deal with lawyers for the next 3-5 years after an accident.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M818 was about $250/mo for personal commercial (actually non-commercial, but that's what they call it) with unlimited use from Progressive. It also covers any of my trailers that are attached to it.

Rene M

5 ton means over 26,000 GVW, that falls under TXDOT rules regardless of use, min liablity is 500,000. I use Progessive Commercial, but it took some sweet talking by my agent to get them to write a policy for an army truck.

Yes,26,500 is the comerical entry any thing over that must you must have a cdl lic and a dot inspection..
My 5 ton is listed as 22,144 and i ran it to a cat scale which confirmed that it was well under that gvw 21,198lb....
I have it titled as non comerical truck and just a safety inspection. I will never be able to load it with that kind of weight and since it will only be a personal truck with out a dot then no weight stations either.

WyoDeuce

My usual ins. company said that they would not insure my truck. I drove it to the local state farm office and they took pictures. They had no problem insuring it. No B.S. rules like the collector companies. I can drive it whenever and wherever I want. State farm has all my policies now because they were willing to insure the military truck that my old company would not.

runk

gvw

Rene,
Be careful with that, my understanding is GVW in the Texas vehicle code is defined as empty weight plus manufacture's rated payload. That would put you at more then 30,000 lbs GVW, well over the 26,000 limit. (One more reason I should never even think about buying a wrecker :cry:)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5 ton is listed as 22,144 and i ran it to a cat scale which confirmed that it was well under that gvw 21,198lb....
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer: "Hi, I see you do not have your vehicle identified with DOT markings?" You: "My vehicle GVW is 21,198 so I do not fall under DOT rules". Officer "Really, let's take a look at your rating plate, hmm, empty weight 21198, carrying capacity 5 tons, so GVW is 31198". You: "But I have only bought enough registration to run at 21,144, so I don't fall under DOT." Officer: "DOT compliance is governed by vehicle GVW, not amount of registration purchased." You: "Oh". Officer: "Well today you will be receiving a few citations . . . "

runk

Rene,
How about leasing it to your shop for advertising, and insure it though the business ? I looked into this for the deuce, but since my regular insurance company was happy to do it (jeep m35a in their computer !, and the policy was clear that as long as it was under 26K it was ok), there was no reason to play the game. (IRS rules- log of use, reimbursement for personal use, etc.)

NDT,
Are you sure the DOT requirements kick in for a personal truck ? I thought the laws read "blah, blah, blah weight limit .... and .... intra-state commerce, blah, blah, blah" Of course, the above idea would probably qualify. And I seem to remember the example on the TexDOT website emphasizing that even something like having a buddy pay for some of the gas might qualify as commerce. (I know CDL rules apply, and insurance type.)

Last edited: