• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big trucks big tools ?

bepositive

Bidding on a M817 . I was wondering what tools I should have to support these trucks . I have good hand tools for my farm equipment . They max at 1 1/4 inch . Just looking for advice on big wrenchs / sockets /breaker bars / jacks , etc. . Whatever people have added to their toolbox in hindsight after having to do maintence and break downs . Thanks Shane

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 or 1 inch impact (and sockets) and large sockets to do the axles. the rest of your normal shop tools should work. Long pipe/cheater bar and maybe a geared lug wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have found the 3/8 and 1/2 drive to take care of 95% of the work I do. I have a 1" drive impact because it was the best deal for an impact gun.

FL_Frank

Harbor Freight will become a good friend. Had to upgrade almost all of my air tools when I got my deuce to 3/4" impact. At HF, they are relatively dirt cheap - and always bring the 20% of coupon (ideally wait until it's on sale/clearance, then use the coupon). Was told the 3/4" impact wrench I purchased from them (Earthquake branded) was a re-branded Ingersol Rand unit, but it's good for 1400ft/lbs and has always worked great.

The biggest adjustment I had to make wasn't necessarily having the correct tools, it was the shear level of force required for some jobs that I had trouble mustering (e.g. Torque bar replacement). Being only 165lbs, that didn't help at all, but hey if I can do it, anyone can. Hope you win your M817 - just PM it really well and welcome to the club!

-Frank

PS - side note - there is an outfit on eBay that resells returned HF tools. The 3/4 impact gun I mentioned above I got this was for ~$100 (vs. $250) and it was only lightly scuffed..it's a lot more scuffed now =)

EDIT - almost forgot - if you don't have them, please get/borrow a few sets of heavy jack stands as normal ones typically aren't rated for your truck. I bought a few 6 ton sets (from HF of course), but I think they have the 12ton sets now, which I would have bought if they had them.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: Harbor Freight.

Get the HF 1" socket set and 3/4" impact wrench. I just bought the $100 impact, you see it on sale for ~$90 once in a while. Get a 3/8" air hose to go with it because the big impacts use a lot of air.

They also have cheap end wrench sets. All the Pittsburg (HF) brand hand tools are lifetiime guarantee.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight or Northern Tools but buying the bigger tools like a 3/4 inch socket set for example is the way to go. They are cheap enough that if you break one you just get another. If you bought name brand it would get super expensive really fast. I agree with Gimp too; my 3/8 and 1/2" sets handle almost everything. Just add a 3/4 HF socket set and impact and you should be set.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bud Socket....best money you will spend on a tool for changing tires.

I have a one inch impact gun (big one like the big truck tire shops use) and there are very few nuts it won't wring off.

I would get the cheap one inch tool set that has the pull bar and ratchet in it.

With a good cheater bar you can either loosen it or break it off.

If you don't have a oxy/actelyne set I would get one (provided you know how to properly use it).

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
torque multiplier for those 400 and 500 LB torques ( 4 to 1 works great, 5 to 1 even better)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am in the process of pulling the LDS from my 5 ton and all I have to use is box end wrenches and gear wrenches. since my stepson decided my sockets were his and lost em all. I have actually got it almost all done :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks