• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

big winch

albion

Howdy all, i am wanting to put a big winch on the front of my duece. I have the dual output pto and hydraulics on the truck to work with. Looking for the most cost efective way to do this. Was thinking of a 20k winch off a 5 ton. Any ideas or leads on a winch? Thanks Albion

albion

why do you need such a big winch Albion? not that I'm judging, because I'd do it too if I could, just wanted to know why. The reason for the big winch is that my deuce is gonna be used for logging on my mountain property, to climb to the top and haul trees down. If for what ever reason it won't make the climb i have to be able to drag it up the mountain. I am in the kiamichi mountains in Oklahoma.I have a 12k winch on my jeep and at times it could use more power. Albion

rizzo

albion said:
why do you need such a big winch Albion? not that I'm judging, because I'd do it too if I could, just wanted to know why. The reason for the big winch is that my deuce is gonna be used for logging on my mountain property, to climb to the top and haul trees down. If for what ever reason it won't make the climb i have to be able to drag it up the mountain. I am in the kiamichi mountains in Oklahoma.I have a 12k winch on my jeep and at times it could use more power. Albion
if you have a winch on it already it may be easier to use a snatch block.

albion

jdobyns said:
I would think a stock deuce winch would be able to winch the truck up the hill.
No, the truck does not currently have a winch. Seeing i am starting with no winch i think the cost will not be a lot morefor a big one and i want to make sure i have plenty of power for a quick recovery. Fabrication is not a problem and the truck will only be used off road. The "hill" is literally a small mountain, my polaris 700 twin 4wd climbs it pretty easy, i hope the duece will as well, but this being my first duece i really don't know what to expect as far as it's ability off road.My experiance with my "rock crawler cj5" with it's 12k winch tells me that is not enough winch for the 13k duece. Thanks Albion

Pinkie

Albion, just remember a 12k Electric Winch and a 10k PTO winch are very different. I would take the 10K PTO over a 12K Electric any day. Pto winches pull their load all day long without any problems. Electric winches tend to get hot while pulling at full load.

rizzo

jdobyns said:
Albion, just remember a 12k Electric Winch and a 10k PTO winch are very different. I would take the 10K PTO over a 12K Electric any day. Pto winches pull their load all day long without any problems. Electric winches tend to get hot while pulling at full load.
my 12k milemarker has a 3/8 cable and the 10k deuce winch has a 1/2 inch cable.
I think they are under rating the winch a bit

albion

Yea, i figured that, my train of thought is that sinse i have to buy one any way, from what i have seen i can buy a 20k winch used surplus for not much more than a 10k duece winch. The fab work isn't a problem for me and i might even convert it to hydro. If my duece gets in a situation were it won't make it up the mountain i want to know i have plenty of winching power to drag it up and over the obsticle and not worry about sheering the pin i keep reading about thanks. Albion

rizzo

albion said:
Yea, i figured that, my train of thought is that sinse i have to buy one any way, from what i have seen i can buy a 20k winch used surplus for not much more than a 10k duece winch. The fab work isn't a problem for me and i might even convert it to hydro. If my duece gets in a situation were it won't make it up the mountain i want to know i have plenty of winching power to drag it up and over the obsticle and not worry about sheering the pin i keep reading about thanks. Albion
that makes sense

Bigdadddy

If your still looking for one of these albion I have one. I bought it at an auction here at Ft. Chaffee, thought if was for the M37 but realized when I went to pick it up that I had got the wrong one. I was going to use to make a boom truck or something but I'll pobalby never get around to that... if you want it let me know.

It's like this one... has the extra pulley and indexing mechanism on top and the cable appears to be nearly new. I believe it's rated at 20K.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/492997/fullsize/winch.jpg

Otter

Hello,
The difference between the electric and PTO, is quite simple. The electric commercial winch is rated by pulling a rated, rolling load(12K, ect.) up a 45 deg. ramp, whereas the PTO is rated to pull the rated line pull(10k ect). directly. Thats the reason the 12k electric has a 3/8" line and the PTO has a 1/2" line. I have a neighbor who uses 10k garwoods for logging and uses a grade 8 bolt for the shear pin, he estimates that he regularly pulls 40k logs with the truck. He has replaced his winch several times due to spliting the case, where the worm fits to the gear, I have seen a pulled apart case and its impressive. Vast difference between commercial and PTO military!
eric