• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bigger driver in a Deuce

lonegunman

I drive an A3 and am 6'3", 270 no problems here. The seat is a bit different than an A2, it is weight adjustable and has another 50lbs past me and the wheel is smaller.

You still sit very upright and your knees easily touch the wheel.

THEROAD

I guess I am too tall and to light to push the seat down enough. I look right into the top of the window frame. 6'2" and 190 pounds. I need to figure a way to limit the upper travel of the springer. Maybe a clamp or something on the spring?

dittle

6'5" 225 lbs no issues on my A2 Deuce with springer seat. I do bottom it out every now and then on the big bumps like others have mentioned.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to figure a way to limit the upper travel of the springer. Maybe a clamp or something on the spring?

how about a tether tattached to the seat bottom and the floor. an actual cable would probably work nice as it wont rattle and such...rattles drive me nuts!

goldneagle

I am 5' 10" 300# and I use a air ride seat in the M820A2. Gives more clearance than the springer seat! I have a box seat and no pad on the back rest in my newly acquired M109A3. 2" of clearance with that setup. Back hurt a bit due to no pad on backrest. Gonna put an air ride seat in her when I can. They are much more comfortable!

Attachments

Wow.. I may just be the lightest SS guy here! 5'10" 135lbs after a good meal. I can fit alright but my knees and elbows get banged up more often than not.
My dog has taken bigger craps than that.

But as to the knee banging, I am 6'6" and the window crank & X-fer case shifter are positioned to provide maximum agony, for my knees. I have started to pad both before a trip of any legnth. I use 1" pipe X 7/8" wall Armaflex insulation and it works great. The padding on the X-fer case lever folds over on the top and works as a leg rest.
Just like me, the Deuce was not built for comfort or speed. Just great looks and great fun.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I am too tall and to light to push the seat down enough. I look right into the top of the window frame. 6'2" and 190 pounds. I need to figure a way to limit the upper travel of the springer. Maybe a clamp or something on the spring?
I'm w/ you on that. Have thought about putting spring clamps on, or cutting part of the spring off (kind of like lowering a coil spring suspension).
I do kind of like the "easy" thought of running a cable stop, or two, one on each side.

kastein

6'4" and 190 or so, I fit fine, even roomy. It's an M54A2 though, I think the steering wheel is about the same but might have a different seat setup.

JCKnife

I'm 6'7" and 250 lbs. If I'm not the biggest guy here, I'm awful close.

Driving the deuce is not uncomfortable. It's not quite as roomy as a pickup truck but it's better than my wife's Explorer was (the one that didn't have a tilt-wheel).

When I turn that big wheel I'm glad my arms are as long as they are.

212sparky

i am 6'4" 250 and have no problems in my deuce, i have to tighten the spring because the seat does bottom out and after a long drive my back is sore.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys, I hope you all are sitting down. Last year at Haspin I weighed over 400. At 6'1 it was still too much for me to carry and I took some advice from Maddawg about losing it instead of modifying the truck to fit me. I lost 100 of it in about 8 months just by dieting, no exercise or surgery. I bounced to 95 lbs down and stayed that way all summer and plan on continuing the loss when it turns cold.

When I got my first Deuce 2.5 years ago I drove her 350 miles and when I got back I realized that I had an FDS steering system in it. (Fat Dampened Steering)

All three of my trucks have springer seats. I fit great in my first truck, not so good in the second and hardly fit at all in my 818.

Like Drgreg I bang the heck out of my knees and I've seen Stretch in his truck and he fits fine, he just has to move his legs out to the side to scratch his ears but that isn't too much of a problem.

;-)

sw

Attachments

timass1

5"10 350# I got a box in my 109 which is the reason I bid on it after doing some test fitting on the preview. I fit fine but I will say that it keeps me in check. I tell my wife I watch what I eat because I have to loose weight and she say's oh to better your health and I say no so I can drive my duece. Then she insists on hitting me. I have sat in a springer and fit with a little belly rub but doable. I would like to fine some a3 seats if anyone has any leads on that it would be appreciated, just pm me. Although I do like the air ride setup shown back a few post. I'm sweating off pounds as we speak ripping up the floor in the box not fun..

After reading this thread it sounds like some pretty big guys are members here, and we all fit in our trucks. A few here are more petite in stature and fit better than us large guys.
I think it may be a good idea to get together and buy a surplus space shuttle, we can convoy to the moon were we are all still tall and weigh a lot less. Of course guys like fuzzytoaster may not want to come along, because they will go from the dog poop category to the dog fart rating.rofl

Csm Davis

ok here here you go 6'8" 320lbs now was right at 400lbs buddys all laugh because I ride around town with my door open so I can clutch 818 or m35 fit ok behind the wheel but need like 4 inches of more room between door and steering wheel my knee just will not fit inbetween!:driver:

IWINEZ

WOW. Thanks for all the great responses. You guys are great. I am 6'3 around 350, but losing. I am looking into purchasing my first deuce soon, just trying to decide between the A2 or A3. Thanks again guys.

Pinz25086

I am 6'4 and 300 lbs and fit ok. I keep a roll of paper towels on the transfer case lever to pad it from my leg. The window crank must be in the correct position or it will tear up my left leg. I have the springer seat cranked up as far as it will go but it does bottom out from time to time. I can let go of the wheel and it will track straight (belly holds the wheel just fine). Would I like more room? Yes. Will I do something about it? NO, I love my deuce just the way it is!

Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks