• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest generator / alternator put on a NHC 250?

ke5eua

I'm currently eyeballing a nice looking 260A generator and I guess the biggest concern is, will it fit?

This would be perfect as it is dual 260A (24V) / 160A (14V) so it meets my power requirements. Especially if you step down the 24V to 12V on a separate battery bank that gives you a relative 500A of power on 12V. Essentially you could weld with this generator if you needed to.

r (1).jpgr (2).jpgr.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,

I have a similiar dual 200Amp 24v 100amp 12v probably slightly smaller I picked up on speculation. I have not tried to install yet but it looks like the bottom double ear mount "might fit" but the top ear is clocked wrong and the oil cooler is in the way for the m939. Might fit with some fabricated brackets but it is like project 546 on my list to do.......

ke5eua

Mike,

I have a similiar dual 200Amp 24v 100amp 12v probably slightly smaller I picked up on speculation. I have not tried to install yet but it looks like the bottom double ear mount "might fit" but the top ear is clocked wrong and the oil cooler is in the way for the m939. Might fit with some fabricated brackets but it is like project 546 on my list to do.......
You have the 250 if I remember correctly right?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I wouldn't have done it. That's how it came. And it dosnt work right it needs a new regulator that no one seems to have. I found a used on on ebay that looks like it got thrown out the window and run over. It hasn't arrived yet though. Southern says they are not making that part this month. Maybe in a few. I have some higher amp alt brackets for the 8.3 nothing for the 250 though.

74M35A2

That alternator has to be crazy heavy, and ridiculously unreliable. A replacement regulator is probably near impossible to find. I heard those dual output deals were as reliable as an Oldsmobile diesel.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a 160 amp 24 volt alt that looks about the size of the one in the pics. It has a serp pulley. The mounting is slightly different but looks like it could be made to work.

ke5eua

I have a 160 amp 24 volt alt that looks about the size of the one in the pics. It has a serp pulley. The mounting is slightly different but looks like it could be made to work.
I'm going to get some good measurements. I guess the biggest concern would be the weight put on the brackets more than anything.

tim292stro

That alternator has to be crazy heavy, and ridiculously unreliable. A replacement regulator is probably near impossible to find. I heard those dual output deals were as reliable as an Oldsmobile diesel.
I have a 450Amp version in that footprint, it's 110lbs. Big heavy thing...
N1603-2.JPG
Mine is brushless, so assuming the regulator doesn't crap out, it should actually be more reliable than the old style points regulators and brushed alternators.

Probably easier to do a 24V alternator and a Vanner (talk to Suprman, he has some listed in classifieds now). Regulator shouldn't be that hard to do, just about any 24V regulator should work as long as it has the same number/function pins (even if the connector is different). The voltage regulator regulates voltage by controlling the field current (on both brushed and brushless types) so as long as it's rated for the voltage (24/28.8V), and the field current - it should work. The other pins like Phase/AC are for the regulator to determine alternator revs and to do fun things in software to make it more stable.

Artisan

Just email tech support at C.E. Niehoff and ask what they suggest!
Or ask what series is the biggest that will fit and choose.

They have always been most helpful for me in the past.

74M35A2

I have a 450Amp version in that footprint, it's 110lbs. Big heavy thing...
View attachment 550929
Mine is brushless, so assuming the regulator doesn't crap out, it should actually be more reliable than the old style points regulators and brushed alternators.

Probably easier to do a 24V alternator and a Vanner (talk to Suprman, he has some listed in classifieds now). Regulator shouldn't be that hard to do, just about any 24V regulator should work as long as it has the same number/function pins (even if the connector is different). The voltage regulator regulates voltage by controlling the field current (on both brushed and brushless types) so as long as it's rated for the voltage (24/28.8V), and the field current - it should work. The other pins like Phase/AC are for the regulator to determine alternator revs and to do fun things in software to make it more stable.
As long as the rotor resistance is equal or greater than the rotor resistance of the alternator which the regulator originally came from, it will be ok. Example: If the original rotor resistance is 6 ohms, but the new rotor resistance of which this same regulator is now going into is 3 ohms, it will be supplying double the power, and heat, and will quickly overload and fail.

Lots of talk of big power. Can one ask what it is necessary for? Remember, these ratings are not the output at idle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks