• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black Diesel and other alliterative fuels in my 6.2?

Cletus09

I recently bought an m1009 and I am new diesels and MVs. I have heard lots of stories about people running alternative fuel mixtures such as biodiesel and engine oil/hydralic oil/tranny fluid with diesel. I have also heard that there are lots of things that can go wrong, and that some of these fuels can be potentially bad for the engine. I am primarily interested mixing diesel fuel with engine oil/hydraulic oil. (possibly called black diesel?), but I don't want to blow my CUCV up in the process of experimenting.... Can anyone shed a little light on the subject? Will the 6.2 handle these concoctions? Will the injection pump? Does anyone know the way to make black diesel correctly?

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short answer is YES

THE LONG ANSWER involves filtering, possibly washing fuels, blah, blah, blah --- more than I know about - but you can do it

But I don't think I would go any more than some kind of 75 - 25 mix with the 25 being the 'oil' that you want to mix in... but again, I'm sure someone will speak up that is way more knowledgable than I

Westech

CPL
Anything but Pump Diesel can DESTROY the injection pump. Many of them are 20 or more years old and cant handle the Carbon in the oil. If you use a 2 micron filter you may be able to get away with it. but... in a 6.2 I would NEVER go more then 50% whatever to pump fuel.

chevyCUCV

TC-W3 2cycle marine oil is the best thing since sliced bread
And how many people give away gallons of it for free?
WMO is great i have a bunch saved up and have 50 gallons lined up whenever i want it.

I am getting ready to run waste oil. It is settling now with a few gallons of gas to 30 or so gallons of oil. I will thin it will HHO and then filter it a bunch, once it looks good(particles and consistency wise) i will pump it into my truck.

I am ready for failure, with 2 spare injector pumps and new injectors though.

PAm1009

And how many people give away gallons of it for free?
WMO is great i have a bunch saved up and have 50 gallons lined up whenever i want it.

I am getting ready to run waste oil. It is settling now with a few gallons of gas to 30 or so gallons of oil. I will thin it will HHO and then filter it a bunch, once it looks good(particles and consistency wise) i will pump it into my truck.

I am ready for failure, with 2 spare injector pumps and new injectors though.

That they dont.. If you dont have time like me to filter gallons and gallons of motor oil with the proper tools then i would say TC-W3 is a good alternative and a gallon of cheap stuff is fairly inexpensive under ten bucks and you wont have to worry about hurting your pump and injectors

cheiser666

I run wmo in my truck no problems. the most i would run is 60% diesel 40%waste. It is filtered and then mixed. Depending on the thickness of the oil I will run a higher percentage.

chevyCUCV

That they dont.. If you dont have time like me to filter gallons and gallons of motor oil with the proper tools then i would say TC-W3 is a good alternative and a gallon of cheap stuff is fairly inexpensive under ten bucks and you wont have to worry about hurting your pump and injectors
I believe Fuel Additive and Alternative fuels are different things

Last edited:

V8Astro

I run used Trans fluid. Every time I do a trans flush at work it produces 4 gallons of used fluid. The flush machine has two filters and i run the fluid thru another filter when I pump it into my barrel. I run a max 50/50 mix when its warm. The truck cranks a loooooong time on cold start but after that it runs fine and quieter.

Cletus09

Tanks so much for all your input! I just wonder, has anyone had any experience with running used hydraulic oil? I know that settling it with heavy magnet is pretty necessary to get the metal out of it, but how does it run?

chevyCUCV

Ill let you know in the fall when we change out the cranes/booms at my new work!

I think i have read about members using it in the deuce, so as long as it is the proper type (read msds on it to make sure it is flammable) it should be good to go. (With proper settling/thinning/filtering)

chevyCUCV

Filled up with my first tank of WMO today
I used approx 8 gallons of my motor oil mix. I think it is around 20% gas( I used old stale gas i had laying around). I pumped some into a glass gar to check it out.
The wmo mix alone was very thin, i think i should have used less gas.
Anyways i pumped it into my tank (through a filter) and then topped it off with HHO.

Drove it 20 miles, didn't really notice a difference. Maybe a little smell, but i am not sure.
Now i drive like this:mrgreen: cause its so much cheaper to do:beer:

WATSONBREW

I mainly run homemade biodiesel in my M1009. Anywhere from B60 to B100. I do run used motor oil when I change my oil. Probably at a 20% mixture. I filter it and run a magnet through it. I mix it with diesel though not gasoline. I don't think I would do that. There are machines out there that you can buy and the government/military use to burn used engine and transmission oil. It saves them millions a year. It is basically filters and magnets. some have centrifuges.

Last edited:

DXTAC

I fill mine up with Biodiesel from the Mobil near my house then drive to work round trip once then top it off with 5 gallons of WMO, so 20% mixture give or take. Been doing this for two years without a problem. I have a centrifuge that it gets runs through and I believe that goes down to 2 microns. I burn anything I can get my hands on for free that will burn. The centrifuge and the heat added during filtering takes care of unwanted moisture and crap in the mix.

The centrifuge cost me $1,000 and paid for itself more than 4 times over between my dad and myself using WMO. Some people say the hard part is securing sources for free oil but Craigslist takes care of that. I also have some friends that own shops so I'm set.

The truck runs much smoother and quieter. It smokes a little more especially in the morning and has a slight drop in power when on WMO. Also starting in the winter is a little slower. Mileage hasn't suffered as I still get between 18 and 22 MPG depending on highway or back roads. Overall though the trade off is well worth it for me especially since I live just outside Chicago and diesel here is between $4.09 and $4.50 a gallon right now. Every tank I save between $20.45 and $22.50 a tank.

Cheers!! :beer:

wayne pick

Has anyone tried using some kind of vibrating device on their wmo collection tank? Somthing like the vibrator used on salt spreaders to shake the materal down or a higher frequency type used to vibrate concrete. Im sure it would speed up the settling process. I've heard waste oil of any kind will settle over time and leave an allmost crystal clear product on top. True?

Kalashnikov

Has anyone tried using some kind of vibrating device on their wmo collection tank? Somthing like the vibrator used on salt spreaders to shake the materal down or a higher frequency type used to vibrate concrete. Im sure it would speed up the settling process. I've heard waste oil of any kind will settle over time and leave an allmost crystal clear product on top. True?
You can let it sit for as long as you'd like but it will always be black. I find that letting the oil sit for a few days draws most of the nasty stuff to the bottom thanks to gravity.

FYI hydraulic oil burns better than WMO.

cshaw07

I ran a tank of 50% oil 50% diesel and had no problems yet, I'm upping it next time. I talked to a guy the other day that runs straight wmo in his 6.5 and has for 10 years. I don't feel comfortable doing that, but i think 80% oil 20% diesel is acceptable. I'm trying it. I have a spare set of injectors and my IP is old as the truck is anyway. If it goes it goes, if it doesn't ill enjoy my fuel at $.80 a gallon! I assume that it will eventually take its toll on the IP, but say straight diesel will let the pump last 100k miles, 80% wmo will let it last 50k miles (straight shot in the dark guess) but even then an IP rebuild is what? $400? 50k miles at $.80 a gallon is $2,000 50k miles at $3.89 (current diesel price) is $9724 (assuming my 20mpg average) . I could buy A LOT of IP pumps....

Last edited: