• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Black-out lights?

Midnight Rider

You should try them out in your drive way one night and see for yourself. Mine were no brighter than a match, so I wouldn't use them for anything. I just left them where they are.

Barrman

They are great for entertaining boy Scouts on camp outs. Once you tell them how the seperation keeping aspect of the rear lights work. They will be running around between 50-100 meters away testing it out themselves.

Other than that, I haven't found a use.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are great for filling in the hole on the front grille of the deuce. Without it there would be a gaping hole that people would keep asking about, "what goes there?" I've had it happen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use them as parking lights at the grocery store all the time. The GA Rally trail rides often produce a blackout trail ride (mostly).

KsM715

For those that have never done a blackout convoy, get a group together find some private property that you can use and try it out. Both fun and nerve racking at the same time.[thumbzup]

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use them with my NVGs..... Of course I have to reaise the drivers window on my deuce because otherwise the IR light from them reflects back and blinds me..... Also, the whole explaining to kids how they work.

Some of the most fun I've had with my deuce involves no more than letting my 9 year old and his friends explore it.....

BikerBi11

I was doing a convoy in the late 80's in Ft. Irwin under black of black out lights. Lost the guy in front of me. sped up trying to find his tail lights. By the time i found them it was too late to stop. Ran smack into the back of his trailer. Was in an M35A2. THANK GOD HE WASN'T STANDING BEHIND HIS MV! Bent the bumper rite in the middle. All that was ever said was the motor Sgt. just wanted to know how it happened. Never saw the other guy till i I was just a few feet away. Not a big fan of their usefulness!!

Truckoholic

I'd been wondering what the purpose of those black out lights was. So basically they just provide a small amount of ground illumination so you can kind of half way see where you are going to allow you to sneak through a battlefield or something without being seen at night I take it. I have been trying and trying to search online for how black out lights work, but all I can find is how to install black out film on your tail lights and things like that.

OL AG '89

B.O. lights are great!!!
Like Barrman said, explain the distance measuring feature (follow & closing) to a bunch of kids, sit back and watch the fun begin.
I took my 09 out to the farm and let my son drive around (in open field, limited moon night) with the B.O. drive lights on.... He HAD A BLAST!!! oldest son would follow on 4 wheeler without lights and he was amazed that dad had a brain and the B.O. marker lights really could help you determine distance.
As far as "civvy" use, not good for nothing, can't even drive around at dusk with them, because when you turn them on you disable turn signals, headlights and brakelights.
The LEO's frown on that!!

Barrman

I think some of you are reading this and scratching your head about what we are writting.

The rear black out light has 4 slots. When you are looking at it from less than about 50 yards away, you see 4 slots. As you back up they will merge to two lights per housing. When you get more than about 100 yards back. All you can see is 1 red blob. Convoy distances were supposed to be about 50 yards (or meters depending on when you served) between vehicles. So, like a giant slinky. Vehicles would close up to see 4 lights and then fall back to 1, then up to 4 and then back to 1. Add in dust, the idiot behind you getting too close and you can imagine the fun a black out convoy is.

I was meaning the one on the front. I just knocked out the black lens and put in a clear one cut from cheap safety goggles. One light was rusty, so it is getting a remake and some primer on the bulb bracket. I like the plate light idea, am going to do that.

KsM715

This may sound dumb but, what are "black out" lights?
:shock: Do you own an MV? If you do, go out to it after dark and flip the 3lever light switch to the left. Go to the front and you'll see a faint white light coming out of that funky looking round thing with the hood on it, on the rear you'll see the faint red "cats eyes". Those are the blackout lights, used for convoying at night without headlights so enemy does not see you.

Edit: pics added, yes I realize these are not from a CUCV but the principle of operation is the same.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks