• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout/Drive Light Switch and Battery Life Question

a175

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Apologies if my search-fu has failed me, but just wondering if there's much of a connection between the two.
After daylight driving, I've at times forgotten to turn of the switch (I drive with it on so I can use my blinkers and horn). My batteries haven't died yet, but I'm concerned if it's just a matter of time or if it's okay just to leave the switch on. Is there battery drain when the truck is off and the switch is up?
Thanks.

jimm1009

My switch is on and has been since mid 1995 when I first picked mine up from Uncle Sam. I test my blackout lights about once a year but don't use them
other than that.

I rotated my master switch (right side position) upside down from the way the military had it and also swapped the terminals too so that it locks in the on postiion (up) rather than the blackout position.
I don't want mine to inadvertantly get switched off hebse the alteration.
The function is exactly the same but is a little safer in my eyes for civilian usage.
If you want to switch yours off that is fine but you will have to develope a check list or a routine for firing your truck up. You obviously do not want to be driving down the public roads with the switch in the off position.
Perhaps always turn on your left turn signal before putting the key in the ignition or a similar action. The master switch kills all lights so if your turn signal is inoperative you know that the switch is still in the off position.

jimm1009

ralbelt

No drain on batterys. Mine is on all the time and I have parked it for 3 and 4 weeks at a time and it still fires right up.

Last edited:

jimm1009

This is an attempt to keep "Soldier A" from butning the glow plugs out buy making the turn sginals and other lights hot without the key being inserted into the ignition.
They can do a full PMCS with no keys.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks