• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout drive light

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Question:

Now that I have my blackout drive light working.

Should I angle it out a little bit so it shines on more of the road?

Or angle perfectly vertical as it is now, so it pretty much only
lights up the bumper?

Good night,

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Depends on if you plan to have anyone shooting at you.

I was made to drive a 15mph or slower. Unless you want to really see what it is like to drive in b/o conditions. you;ll never really use it.

CycleJay

Hello Carnac,

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted them pointed correctly, as if my M1009,
was still in the service.. To keep it as stock and functioning as originally as possible.

Good night,

KsM715

To put it the way it was in service the "visor" would be parallel (sp?) to the ground. In other words straight down. If it were angled any it might allow some light to escape out the side and to the front allowing the enemy to see it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
99.99% sure you will NEVER EVER use it. (nice to have for looks though).

KsM715

I use mine. Only to show people what it does and how it works when they ask what it is.

Its fun to watch them get upclose to the rear then back off seeing how the "cat eyes" go from 4 to 2 to 1 and back

CycleJay

KsM,

Thanks for the tip about how to position the drive light.
I kind of thought so, so that is how I mounted it,
the "visor" is very parallel to the ground..

I checked last night, you cannot really tell it is on while standing in front of my truck,
unless you walk up to the front end and look down at the bumper or under the visor.

Thank you, Good day,

ralbelt

Cj if you get into the dark deep woods and allow your eyes to get used to the dark [night vision] it will cast a light approx 10 feet ahead of the vehicle.

CycleJay

Ralbelt,

Thank you for the tip, that sounds too cool. I am going to have to try that some time.

Good day,

P.s. Now if I could just find replacements for the two front blackout lights that go in the bumper.

CycleJay

Coreelokt,

I suppose, but if I could make it fit, it would look awfully funny if they worked. LOL

I will just keep looking for fronts, like on ebay or craigslist. etc.

combatmech

99.99% sure you will NEVER EVER use it. (nice to have for looks though).
Ditto... They do look cool and complete the vehicle. I got my blackout lights from ebay. Had to splice them into the exsisting wire harness. The connectors that came with mine were from a deuce...or at least they looked like the ones I had seen overseas. I can send pics if you'd like...

rbeasley66

CycleJay, come visit the Georgia Rally in Oct. and you can try them out during the night rides. Most of the trucks used theirs and it was neat driving through the woods in blackout mode. That was until a truck in the back with headlights on hit my mirrors and messed up my night vision.
We'll look for you there :driver:

CycleJay

Hello, rbeasley66

Thank you for the invite to the rally. I would like to go.
But it all depends on if I can afford it. And if I can get a couple more needed
repairs done to it before then.
I am working on it all though. We shall see..

I would like to try driving in blackout mode, with my own nightvision.
At least once. To see what it would be like.

forest522

Hey Cyclejay, thanks for the pic! Never seen that one working. The bumper ones on my rig work, and I need figure out the blackout light. Mine has a date with the work bench of torture!

As for never using it...it's worth the fuel to get out to the first roads and try 'em out! And show the neighbor kids what they do....

CycleJay

Hello Forest,

You are welcome.
I am glad to have showed you something you never seen before.
The rear bumper blackout lights on mine work, but not the front, but I am going to work on that.

I did it, because I want everything working on my M1009 that should be working.
Because there is NO way to be 100% sure they will never be needed.

As for hitting the roads to try them out, I would like to do that.
Gotta figure that part out as to when and where.

If you need any help getting yours working, just ask, I will answer your questions.

Good night,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks