• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout light and street light operation

Pballer71

I was wondering if there would be a way that you could have your blackout lights on with your street lights. I think there has got to be a way that you could bypass the switch and have them both on at the same time. I just don't want to cut to many wires if any while doing it. If anyone could post pictures of the switches contacts that would be helpful.

idM1028

Why? The blackout lights are just there in case you happen to be driving with NOD's on. Ergo, they're pretty useless in less you've got a pair. But, that would defeat the purpose of the headlights. If it was me, I'd have a look at the wiring diagrams and go from there if you really wanted to do it.

islandguydon

Pballer71

Welcome to SS, Your avatar says you have 9 posts and just signed up. Where in Michigan are you located....? IMHO there is no need for blackout lights unless you do use Night Vision. Even then if you do the Michigan PO PO will ticket you for driving with your lights out.

If this is for your blazer just replace both bumpers, they come complete with all the goodies your looking for and more. 2cents

mistaken1

Wouldn't most city street lights wash out the light from the blackout lights?

In others would anyone even know they were on unless it is really dark and the service lights are off?

FWIW, I found that the blackout lights were pretty useless in the field unless you had night vision goggles. I can't think why someone would want to drive with them on as you wouldn't be able to see them over the light the service drive lamps are putting out anyway. (if you could wire them so that they would come on at the same time that is.) And I am 100 per cent certain that it is illegal to drive with black-out lamps only on the public highway.

Leave those black-out lights alone or it will all end in tears. Someone removed the levers from the mil light control panel in the M882 that I just bought and disconnected the wiring to the black-out lamps. That's the best way to make sure that there's no accident.

steelandcanvas

Someone removed the levers from the mil light control panel in the M882 that I just bought and disconnected the wiring to the black-out lamps. That's the best way to make sure that there's no accident.
Why don't we just not turn them on? Mine work, I even check them when I do a walk-around, but I don't use them. Might be nice to have them work for the Zombie Apocalypse. I'm just sayin'.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOD = Night Observation Device. General term for night vision.

I see nothing wrong with using BO lights in conjunction with white lights for a little extra "cool factor" if thats your thing. To my knowledge they don't violate any laws when used with white lights.

I make it a habit to always drive with white lights on regardless of conditions. See the safety thread elsewhere on SS. The extra visibility service drive offers help other drivers see our flat camouflage painted trucks. I see nothing wrong with wiring in your BO lights to your service drive lights AS LONG AS YOUR WHITE LIGHTS FUNCTION AS INTENDED. Keep in mind that when in black out your brake lights are blacked out too. Make sure your brake lights are functional as well if you messing with your wiring. No brake lights could end your trip really quickly.

One more thing.... this is no different than hundreds of other mods guys here have done to their trucks that could be completely unsafe if done wrong.

Last edited:

KsM715

The only problem with playing with the BO's is they tend to get left on thus draining batteries and driving owners nuts when they can't figure out why their batteries keep draining down. :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks