• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackout lights won't switch off

readyman

I'm fine tuning the M1009 and have a problem with the blackout lights not switching off. They turn on with the 'right switch' in the blackout light down position but the left switch won't switch them off. I got the wiring diagram out, seems like a latching relay not 'unlatching'? Anybody with a quick direction for me to go to? I can hear the relay click when I actuate the left switch.

Last edited:

cpf240

As I recall, the left switch only controls the blackout driving light, not the ones in the bumpers. The bumper blackout lights *should* turn off with the right switch being in the off or service light positions.

readyman

As I recall, the left switch only controls the blackout driving light, not the ones in the bumpers. The bumper blackout lights *should* turn off with the right switch being in the off or service light positions.
Thank you cpf240, it works just as you say. The left switch is only for the driving light in the grill. The right switch down position is for the blackout marker lights in the bumpers.

VermontPrepper

Thank you cpf240, it works just as you say. The left switch is only for the driving light in the grill. The right switch down position is for the blackout marker lights in the bumpers.
Thank you, this thread just saved me a ton of time. I had the BO marker lights working but they wouldn't turn off with the BO driver lamp switch. I thought there was a ground problem and spent awhile looking for the issue. Saved me from continuing today. Vermont Prepper.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/CUCV/TM9-2320-289-10.pdf

From the operators manual page 97 .

TM 9-2320-289-10

2-15. OPERATE LIGHTS
a.
Service Lights.
NOTE
Headlights, horn, turn signals, and hazard warning flasher will not operate unless
service lights/blackout toggle switch is set to “SERVICE LIGHTS ON.”
(1)
On.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “SERVICE LIGHTS ON,”
then pull out headlight switch to turn on headlights as necessary.
(2)
Off.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “ALL OFF,” then push
in on headlight switch.
b.
Blackout Drive Lights.
(1)
On.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “BLACKOUTON,’’then
pull out and push up, and release blackout drive light toggle switch to “BLACKOUT
DRIVE LIGHT ON.” Left toggle switch will return to center position when released.
(2)
Off.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “ALL OFF.”
c.
Blackout Markers.
(1)
On.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “BLACKOUT ON.”
(2)
Off.
Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “ALL OFF.”
2-16. OPERATE HEADLIGHT DIMMER SWITCH
a. Pull out and move service lights/blackout toggle switch to “SERVICE LIGHTS ON” and turn
on headlights

VermontPrepper

Appreciate it. I had it right all the time. Didn't realize markers not controlled by drive light switch. All good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ranger1950

The electrical diaigram shows a 4 pin relay. When the drive toggle switch is pulled up it latches the relay that turns on the drive light. When the switch is pulled down it turns off the light. Don't know why the relay is needed.

KI4FKW

Thank you for this post. It rounded off the last piece in the saga of getting my BO system back operational 100%. I can't believe I missed that the left switch only toggles the drive light. Now my BO system works perfectly 100% after:

* Finding the left switch tucked up behind the dash and putting it back where it goes - the one in its place was an impostor that ran to nothing.
* Removing a jumper that disabled the right switch.
* Replacing a dead front marker
* Replacing a rear marker that had a dead brake light LED
* Replacing a missing piece of the wiring harness between the drive light and the main harness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks