• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blast that M-275

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a guy come over to the LZ to give me a quote on sandblasting the M-275. He has a mobile blasting rig and recently blasted my ex-wrecker for the guy that bought it. The new owner painted it yellow with black trim....I know...sounds hideous but actually looks good. He owns a tow service and will use it to recover big rigs. I'll post pics when I figure out how to download them from my new camera.

But I digress.

I want to have her in full dress for the GA rally.

My plan is to have her stripped so that he will just be blasting the cab tub, frame and axles as a unit. The engine will stay in place. Rad will be removed for some needed repairs.

Everything that can be unbolted and removed with minimum wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth will be removed.......she will be sitting on big, tall jack stands so he can get under it.

I already have the olive drab paint for it so I will be shooting the small stuff as he blasts it (depending on the wind).

He gave me a quote of $800.00 to do everything if I have it ready for him to start as soon as he arrives. He will provide the medium to blast it with.

How does that compare with prices in other areas?

It sounded good to me.

Capt.Marion

Hey WM- if you need help taking it apart (the fenders, etc... may be easier with two people), I'd be glad to help some time in the next few weeks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I the only one who see's alot, A LOT, A VERY VERY LOT, of issues with this? Sounds good but, First off Richard doesn't disassemble (he cuts), second yellow with black trim sounds good in AL, third everything that can be removed with minimum wringing of hands will be removed but engine and cab will be there? Fourth, (big tall stands so he can get under it), I saw 55 gallon drums holding a deuce up (with engine/axle still in) at his place-not a good call. Fifth, will paint as he blasts (must be nonskid). Sixth, my carpal tunnel is hurting so, you get the idea-I'm done.aua

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Capt.....any help would be appreciated......I am going to try to get the Maint tent frame up and get some overhead cover on it in case of rain or hot sun.
I'll post a thread when I am ready and invite anyone that wants to join int.
Might cook some hot dogs and have a spread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Capt.....any help would be appreciated......I am going to try to get the Maint tent frame up and get some overhead cover on it in case of rain or hot sun.
I'll post a thread when I am ready and invite anyone that wants to join int.
Might cook some hot dogs and have a spread.
It summer time in Alabama. Are there any other days other than rainy or hot sun?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheap. Go for it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard, when is he going to start on it, and how long does he think it will take?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Yes, super deal on the blasting! Makes me wonder how good of a job he'll do?
He did a great job on the wrecker.....I am good with the price....especially since that includes eleven rims if I have them laid out.

What kind of media is he using? Have you looked into the soda or dry ice blasting alternative that are not so sandy?
He will be using silica on most of the thick parts and soda on the interior....I will have the guage cluster out and the glovebox door off.

Richard, when is he going to start on it, and how long does he think it will take?
He said he can do it in a few hours if I have everything ready.....not sure of the start date.....depends on when I get the frame up and the truck dissasembled.

May be as soon as next month.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks