• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blazer 85 cucv

bajaman

Hi, does any one know or have an idea why is the generator 2 light going on and off on my dashboard?
what should I check fist. Thanks a lot for your help.

dragon1124

does it go on while you're turning key, and go off when after the engine is running? If so that's normal. If not I'd say check the TMs from the faq page. I've learned alot of information and troubleshooting from those tms

Both my gen lights go on when I start the car and turn off when there's a full charge on the batteries.

bajaman

Hi, it goes on and off when the engine is runing, some times in a stop light I put the trans in neutral and push the gas peda a little it goes off but come back on in a minute or less. Thank for your help

91W350

Make sure the belt is not shot and or slipping. If that is good, have an alternator shop check it. It is normal to come on during start up and stay on until the engine gains a little rpm. All of mine stay out once they go out. I have had to have two out of eight rebuilt. Glen

Cucvnut

if ithe light comes back on you might need to have it rebuild. also try to be a little more discriptive in your post titles so we can know what your posting 1984 cucv could mean anything

CycleJay

Hello Bajaman,

I am having the same problem.
I checked the gen 2 belt on the passenger side of the engine, it is stretched and floppy.. On my engine anyway.
So that is the problem on mine..
I had a mechanic test both alternators and both of them are just fine.
In my case, the battery that is charged by Gen 2 was a little low on charge, because of the floppy alt belt.

Which I am going to be replacing as soon as possible.

So check the passenger side alternator belt first.
Then have both alternators tested..
Then have both batteries tested..

Good luck, Let us know what happens..

Good night...

CJ

Barrman

Reading the technical manuals is a must for an owner of these vehicles. You will notice that the last numbers of the manuals are all the same. -10. -20, -30 and -34. The manuals ending with -10 are the basic operators manual. Kind of like your owners manual in a civilian vehicle. They tell you how stuff is supposed to work.

The -20 manual is the unit maintenance manual. This walks you through all the troubleshooting and normal maintenance stuff.

The -30 or -34 is for in depth repairs such as engine rebuilds, axle rebuilds and such.

Any manual ending in p is exploded view pictures along with exact part numbers for the pieces.

Download and or print out the -20 for the CUCV's. There is a huge mechanical and electrical troubleshooting section. Carry it with you at all times and follow it. You really haven't told us enough to narrow down your problem yet. Follow the -20 and pin point what is going on.

motormayhem

Mine does the same thing...the volt meter is always in the green though. Talked with the guy at the alt shop and he said my alts looked good and were working decent. He thought it was a grounding issue for the warning light and that it was not a problem. Mine comes on at lower rpms sometimes and then will go off and sometimes comes on dimly and goes off and does whatever it pleases, but the batteries stay charged.

Midnight Rider

Mine does the same thing...the volt meter is always in the green though. .................... Mine comes on at lower rpms sometimes and then will go off and sometimes comes on dimly and goes off and does whatever it pleases, but the batteries stay charged.

+1

Mine does the exact same thing. I've never worried about it because my batteries are staying charged.

I've noticed it will go off/on alot more if I've been running around 65+mph range for extended periods of time. When the RPM's drop back down when I get it town that light goes off/on like crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks