• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blazer glow plug issue

DavidH11

I am trying to figure out which glow plugs to put in my blazer. I do not operate in cold weather conditions if that helps. Not sure if I can use regular ac delco 60G or if I need something different cause of the 24 volt system. Also when I turn my key on my glow plugs only stay on for about two seconds and then the cut off and I have to use starting fluid to get it running. Once warm it cranks just fine. Any pointers?

Crash_AF

By come on for only two seconds, does that mean the light is coming on or do you actually hear the clunk of the relay engaging?

Have you tried manually energizing the relay to see if that makes a difference? If not, try this:
Take a wire and connect the terminal with the light blue wire on the relay to ground. The relay should clunk when it energizes. Keep the relay engaged for 10-15 seconds and then try to start the truck.

If it starts, the problem isn't the glow plugs, it's something in the system. You can also test the individual glow plugs with an ohmmeter to make sure they are ok.

To answer the original question, use the Wellman 070s for a stock (24V) system. You can get them on Ebay.

Later,
Joe

DavidH11

I do hear the clunk of the relay engaging and the glow plugs get power according to my test light but only for two seconds. When I first got the truck the system did nothing at all. I wiggled some wires attached to the module under the dash(the little black box) and that is when it started working somewhat. Not sure if the black box needs to be changed or not. Also if I do convert it to a 12V system one day will those wellman 070 plugs still work.

Crash_AF

It sounds like the coolant temperature switch has failed and the card thinks that the engine is hot all the time. Unhook the plug going to the switch on the back of the driver's side cylinder head and see if that makes a difference. If it does, the switch is bad.

Later,
Joe

SmokeyDod

Glow plugs on M1009 & M1008 series are all 12V. However, on the Humvees all those are 24V. The 12v glow plugs have the flat spade type hookup and the 24v humvee have the round type hookup.

DavidH11

I have already changed the coolant temp switch and it did not help and I also unplugged it and no luck still. Alot of people say to go with ac delco 60g's and others say wellman 070. Is one better than the other? One of the plugs I pulled out had the tip(a very little piece about the size of BB) missing and I am pretty sure that it is in the engine. Should I even worry about a piece that small? I know it wont help anything but will it ruin something? I pulled the injector and used a magnet but it came up clean. I am doin some mods to it right now with the suspension and the engine so that is why I have multiple random problems to fix.

Armada

Get the Wellman 070 plugs. They are self-limiting, meaning they will not blister if overheated like the older ac13g's. It is what the military uses for replacements. The small piece of broken tip has probably been blown out of the exhaust. Do you have a small magnatized screwdriver you could put into the glowplug hole? It could also still be in the gp chamber. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.
It's up to you, but the starting sytem always works best when left stock. Instead of spending time and money converting it to 12v, put the effort into getting it to work the way it should. They will start without help in the coldest of weather, but you also need the glowplugs for starting in warm weather when the engine is cold. When left stock, you can still use the manuals for diagnosing and servicing. Gets tougher when things start to get modified. They work great the way they were designed.

When I first got the truck the system did nothing at all. I wiggled some wires attached to the module under the dash(the little black box) and that is when it started working somewhat. Not sure if the black box needs to be changed or not. Also if I do convert it to a 12V system one day will those wellman 070 plugs still work.
Sounds like your problem is in the box or card. Pull the card and clean the contacts on the card and the box. Make sure the card is pushed in ALL the way when you put it back in the box.
Since we never know the maintanance history of these vehicles, for insurance and a good baseline I would also replace the gp relay on the firewall. They are known to fail over time. It is a good idea to replace the starter relay under the dash too. Early originals had a design flaw that caused them to stick 'on'.
One last thing, get your fuel system up to par by replacing the fuel filter and mechanical lift pump. The pump gets weak over time too.
Also, the engine needs to be turning a minimum rpm when starting. If it's not turning fast enough it will start hard or not start at all. The starter slows down over time and causes hard/no starts and could also cause excessive wear on the flywheel. A good starter/alternator shop can rebuild them for around $125. Cheaper than a new 12v. Don't forget to always reinstall the starter brace too.
Hope this helps.

DavidH11

I will order the wellmans now and will also check and clean the box. What does the starter relay look like and where is it under the dash? Thanks for the other info it is really helpful.

MuddWeiser

the starter relay is a silver or black box. If you look in front of the 4WD selector knob, you will see a circular shaped connector for a computer test system...

The relay is up behind the dash right in that area. I believe it has 2 red wires, and 1 purple wire running to it? Unplug the wiring harness and get a replacement.

The part # can be found in the CUCV FAQ, I think it shows up as a ford heater blower motor relay but it works fine...

Armada

The starter relay will look similar to the one in the picture. The replacement will probably have an extra terminal on it but thats ok. It doesn't get used. If it's still in it's original position where Muddweiser described, there will be 2 or 3 smaller square relays next to it, they are Bosch relays, black in color.

Attachments

DavidH11

Ill check it out now and let you know what I find. I did get the box out and it appears to be ok. Nothing looks burnt or broken but I am gonna clean it with air and reinstall it later as well. Thanks again guys.