• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding a Deuce Fuel System

USAFPOL

My Duece quit running while pulling my 5 ton from the mud. Anyway I checked the fule gauge and it said 1/4 tank. I pulled the tank insert out and found I had about 1in of fuel. Followed TM9-2815-210-34-1 and followed troubleshooting guide. It leads me to putting in a new fuel injection pump. Before I go down this path I want to confirm it didn't run out of fuel. I put 5 more gallons in it and I want to bleed the fuel lines and make sure it is ready to run, but I cant find directions to bleed the fuel system. I do see air in the fuel lines. If anyone can help direct me or tell me the proper technique to bleed the fuel system I would appreciate it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Put in fuel, check for fuel at bleeder on secondary filters on the side of the motor(wait till the air stops bubbling out and you have a fuel stream), start motor. Once in a while, it will need a whiff of starting fluid to get her to light off. If it lights and dies, you have an air leak somewhere.

No need to bleed injector lines.

DieselBob

Check out TM9-2320-361-24-1, Sec 0064, pg 0064 00-5 & 0064 00-6 for bleeding instructions. Like RAYZER indicated above if the intank pump is not working this will need fixed before you can follow the normal bleeding steps.

USAFPOL

Thanks for all the help. I wasn't aware there was an in tank pump. I have never heard it running. This is something to investigate tonight. I have owned this for ~ 9 months and it always runs while blowing white smoke. Its a water truck so I run it for 1/2 hr - and 1 hr when getting water from the river and spraying my trees so I would assume it gets warm but still white smoke. I wonder if this is a sign a pump or other item was going out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a A2 or an A3 Deuce? The A2s have an in tank pump. The A3s do not.

It may be a simple as replacing the 3A slowblow fuse on the in tank pump.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to know what model of truck you have. Is it a true water tanker? Is there a data plate of the dash? If so it should say something like M50A2 and there should also be a NSN number 2320-00-077-1633 (or something along those lines)

Last edited:

USAFPOL

It is a M50A2 but I cannot find the NSN number on any of the plates. It is a true water tanker not a conversion. I will look for the fuel pump tonight after work and determine if I can find the fuse. Thanks for your help.

RAYZER

It is a M50A2 but I cannot find the NSN number on any of the plates. It is a true water tanker not a conversion. I will look for the fuel pump tonight after work and determine if I can find the fuse. Thanks for your help.
The in tank fuel pump fuse is located under the square cap on top of the pump.

USAFPOL

Thanks for all your help. It was the fuse under the cap on the tank. I bled the lines using a brake bleeder on th eoutput side of the filters and it started right up.
I downloaded the TMs from this site and followed the troubleshooting guide, but a schematic TM would have been along more helpful to understand the electrical and fuel systems.

RAYZER

The fuse could have been blown for a long time, these trucks will run indefinitely without the in tank pump working, untill it looses prime.

FloridaAKM

Sometimes, even with everything working right; they still need a little extra something to get it all running again. I now have a spare Parker intank fuel pump, in case the original dies; not to mention a spare set of filters for the next change over!

If I get a hankering to play in the fuel system again, pulling the original pump out for screen cleaning, will be first on the list. That will give me another chance to break something working perfectly, because it was a good idea @ the time!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all your help. It was the fuse under the cap on the tank. I bled the lines using a brake bleeder on th eoutput side of the filters and it started right up.
I downloaded the TMs from this site and followed the troubleshooting guide, but a schematic TM would have been along more helpful to understand the electrical and fuel systems.
Glad it was an easy fix.

Here is a link to the Deuce wiring diagram. It is a sticky in the Deuce Forum

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15778-CAD-M35-wiring-diagram

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks