• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding M105 brakes?? A trick??

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced EVERYTHING on my M105's brake system except for one rubber hose and the PB cables (thanks Mark!). I blew brake cleaner through all the lines so I know they are clean and clear. All of the parts from the donor trailer look new, like it came off a fresh rebuild. The system still had fresh looking DOT5 in it.

After I installed everything I tried to vaccuum bleed it, but I'm not getting anywhere. It will hold a vaccuum on the system, but won't suck fluid from the master cylinder. The TM says to bleed it manually - is that the best way, when there is no fluid at all in the lines? Should I just hook it to the truck and pump the brakes? Do I need to build a pressure bleeder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure bleeder is easiest. I built an adapter for mine out of steel line and ran that into the hole in the MC Cap.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure bleeder is easiest. I built an adapter for mine out of steel line and ran that into the hole in the MC Cap.
Ok, I need to build one anyway. I guess I need to go to Home Depot...............................

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we made good progress today. I had to order the socket to reinstall the spindle nut - the hammer and chisel wasn't going to cut it anymore. I thought it was 3 inch, like the M105 TM says, but I just happened to see a post (while SEARCHING for spindle nut socket suppliers) that said it was 3 3/8. I doubled checked the TM and then went out to measure. The TM and I were wrong - it's 3 3/8. So I ordered both since you need it for the deuce too.

Got the bearings greased, hubs and wheels reinstalled. Adjusted the brakes and parking brakes. Never had a M105 with working parking brakes. Nice.

Got the 4 x 4 quad and drug the M105 over to the deuce. Hooked everything up and NADA. No air. Called RAT4SPD who told me there are valves to open for the glad hands. Duh!

Got air going and NADA. Nothing is working. Double checked the lines and see that I have the emergency and service plastic lines hooked up wrong. Swapped and things started getting better.

Haven't built the bleeder yet, but I've bought everything I need. Decided to bleed it old school so I put the boy in the truck and taught him some hand signals. Wasn't getting much air out, which was odd since I blew the lines out with brake cleaner so they were empty. Noticed a huge leak at a fitting and tightened that up. Then she bled pretty good.

Used the high lift to raise one side at a time to ensure the brakes were working. Everything seems fine. I'm still going to build the bleeder and bleed them again, before I put the bed back on.

Thanks again to Mark aka 100Dollarman for hooking me up with the parts and to Phil aka BarneysZoo for advice and wrench support.

I cleaned up an extra set of bearings, nuts and lock washer, greased them up good and wrapped them in zip locks. If I ever have a problem I'll have them with me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck spindle nuts are 3"(8 sided).

Your M103 chassis uses 3 3/8"(8 sided) spindle nuts.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck spindle nuts are 3"(8 sided).

Your M103 chassis uses 3 3/8"(8 sided) spindle nuts.
I know this now. The trailer TM said 3 inch. It's all good, I bought both so I'm covered.