• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew oil line engine now toast! Cat 3116 getting replaced

coachgeo

Would this be a line that would be wise to change to flex hose? Hate hoses that can vibration harden. Also would there be a sensor one could install in such a hose or in existing metal line that throws a "SHUT HER DOWN" light or horn to go off in the cab?

I like the flex hose idea

Seth

Would this be a line that would be wise to change to flex hose? Hate hoses that can vibration harden. Also would there be a sensor one could install in such a hose or in existing metal line that throws a "SHUT HER DOWN" light or horn to go off in the cab?

DanM7890

Flex would be the way to go I believe. The solution for the vibration is the bracket for the air compressor to secure it better.

coachgeo

There is speculation that going to an 8.3 cummins would give better fuel millage. Since you gotta replace engine anyway.... if cost is not much different. I'd go that route. One from a School Bus or Motorhome would be most compatible.

Dirtdiggler

Update: Truck was towed earlier this week to the N C Machinery in Mt Vernon. They said labor to remove and install a used engine that I sourced direct from another LMTV would be between $3,000 - 3,500. We should have an engine coming from Wyoming early next week.

Thanks everyone for the support!

snowtrac nome

There is speculation that going to an 8.3 cummins would give better fuel millage. Since you gotta replace engine anyway.... if cost is not much different. I'd go that route. One from a School Bus or Motorhome would be most compatible.
I'm a big fan of the c series so don't get me wrong but I cant imagine why one would replace a mechanical cat with one especially if the engine is right below the operator them things are loud. an 8.3 in adduce would be real cool but you would likely break stuff, and the b series fits better.

coachgeo

I'm a big fan of the c series so don't get me wrong but I cant imagine why one would replace a mechanical cat with one especially if the engine is right below the operator them things are loud. an 8.3 in adduce would be real cool but you would likely break stuff, and the b series fits better.
what engine would you recommend that would give a better highway MPG yet same or better performance otherwise? 8.3 Bus/Motorhome has only been mentioned but honestly not with much detail. Look forward to your advice. Might be better to start new thread so not to hijack this one.

snowtrac nome

hp will be directly related to your fuel economy, the c series is actually a little larger displacement than the cat, a b series would get you better economy but a whole lot less torque. unless you tuned it for power which would shorten engine life and cost you mpg again. the cats can be de tuned, as can the c series, there is also the option of a dt 466 e that would also fit nicely. my thoughts are the cat fills the bill right nice I see no need to rip it out and put in a c series, just as I see no good reason to rip out my b series to replace it with a yellow motor. heck I even kept the British built 2704 et ford diesel in my big snow cat, and I had an extra b series cummins.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this oil line also an issue on the 3116's in the A3 deuces? My fire department has one, need to know if I should be worried...

Reactions: HDN

snowtrac nome

externally the duce 3116 is the same I wouldn't get too excited about it I have worked on a gazillion 3116 engines that's the first I have seen of that. It however doesn't mean i'm not going to look a little harder at that line from now on.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: Truck was towed earlier this week to the N C Machinery in Mt Vernon. They said labor to remove and install a used engine that I sourced direct from another LMTV would be between $3,000 - 3,500. We should have an engine coming from Wyoming early next week.

Thanks everyone for the support!
Wondering how its going so far?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks