• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew the upper radiator hose

Mike82ndABN

I was offroading and noticed the distinct sweet smell of coolant. The upper radiator hose split and there was a nice puddle underneath.

I salvage some hose off a junk truck (thanks to the help of a friend i made out there), and was able to close the cooling system up again.

The reservoir was only down a little, which surprised me because I feel that it lost a lot of coolant. I topped it up and ran at idle for a bit while continuing to top up. The system maybe took a gallon, which doesn't seem like enough.

Is it possible I have air trapped in there, is there a way to burp the 6.2?

At no point did the temp gauge indicate an overheat condition, in spite of this is it possible it could have overheated and the gauge sender was dry?

Carrera911

The upper rad hose is at the top of the coolant system. It probably did only lose a gallon of coolant. You'd be surprised how much bigger a gallon looks splattered all over the engine bay. The way I always purge air is to rev the engine with the reservoir cap off and the heater core valve opened.

infidel got me

I change all hoses before mine leave the shop. These hoses are usually crunchy to the touch, and the coolant de-gas hoses are usually stopped up---- plus coolant resembles coffee water.....

Action

i think the temp guage will read 0 if there is no water on the sender.
If the thermostat wasn't open, then you probably only lost what was above the hose.

infidel got me

Not to hijack the thread-- but I've been trying to get a bunch of you Tampa boys over here to Holopaw or surban estates to have a get together. Invite is still open.....

Mike82ndABN

Sounds good, that park is pretty laid back, everything is fair game except the motorcross area. There are some mud pits, some obstacles and hills to climb, and a jeep trail.

Mike82ndABN

Yea I'm going to switch the large hoses out with new ones and keep the old for trail spares. I also plan on adding a few feet of random hose sizes to my spare parts kit.

Do you know any other spots out here to off road?

Action

guy at tire shop told me of a place they go here in NW Cape, but it is posted no trespassing. I dont want to lose my truck. redneck yacht club is somewhere around here once a year. i was told not to go because it is a bunch of crazy drunk people that dont care what happens.
not much else that I know of.
some park is up north off I-75 a couple hours away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks