• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blew tire on loaded Deuce - Tire source close to me?

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saturday I was hauling fill rock and concrete from my demolition project to the neighbor's washouts. Earlier in the day, he told me that my right front tire looked low. I pulled up to his shop and he put air in. I later found out that he put about 65 PSI in. I have been carying about 45 lbs in each steering tire just because I thought more than that seemed like too much for older tires. Does that sound right to you guys? Anyway, I had a full load on and as I turned out of my field entrance, that tire blew! aua Sounded like a cannon shot! Fortunately, I was within a hundred yards of home so putting the spare on a loaded truck was not as bad as it could have been.

After that deal, I decided that I want new, or nearly new, tires on the steering axle. I see some new ones (STA) for sale on ebay, but I wondered if anyone else had any experience with those. Anyone know a source close to me, or another member close to me (eastern Iowa) with tires for sale?

My apologies to the mods if this needs to be in the classifieds. Feel free to move it if necessary. I wanted to share the pics of the blowout also.

Don't make fun of my "mobile shop"! Generator, small compressor, impact, etc...pulled by my 4-wheeler.:oops:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd bet dollars to donuts that tire failed due to heat and the obviously-evident dryrot in the sidewall, not an over pressure situation.

1. I have no experience with the STA 9:00x20s, but their Mule tires suck (soft, easily punctured).
2. Always put new tires on the front.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Glad it didn't blow as he was filling it. That would have hurt, if he felt anything at all.
Good luck with the search. I'm sure someone will be able to help out more than I.

What I wanted to know is, how do you get that weight off the deuce once you get it on?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do look pretty crunchy. Reference to your tool cart, its better than most and a milion times better than the guy with no jack or lugwrench.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armstrong, that tire is old, no it's even older than old. It has been rolling on borrowed time.
65 psi, 45 psi, no matter she was waiting to pop.
Titan T-hawk are the most current, Fidelity next.

Oh and nice bumper jack!

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armstrong, that tire is old, no it's even older than old. It has been rolling on borrowed time.
65 psi, 45 psi, no matter she was waiting to pop.
Titan T-hawk are the most current, Fidelity next.

Oh and nice bumper jack!

You are correct! that tire probably never should have been on the steering axle...my fault. I used the loader to lift it because it was loaded. I didn't want to put a jack under the axle and put the truck in a twist with the weight on it. Probably would have been fine, but why try it...loader was easier anyway.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice dump conversion. If the truck is a farm use truck and not driven on the road much, I'd have driven it with those tires on it. I do agree about new ones on the front, but not untill I had a reason.

Katahdin

FYI, I've got a tire in the rear I accidentally inflated to 110psi, that thread here. I've put almost 700 miles on it this summer, no heavy loads tho besides the extra ton of the 109 box and some ods and ends. The tire has some cracks but none on the sidewall. That tire did get a tube change, however, due to the valve stem being bent.

scopionf89

The manul says to inflate your tires to 65 psi. I had my stear tires inflated to 70psi and drove my Duece from GA-WA way with the truck weighing in at 20,000LB wile pulling a 5,000 pound trailer. My tires were not dry roted like yours apear to be. I red on a couple of threads on hear before I started my trip that if you put 70 psi in your tires it is easer to stear. I can't say for sertin because ever sence I got my duece I have kept my stear tires inflated that way. I keep my rear tires at 65psi. I have never had a tire blow and I have put about 6,000 miles on my truck most of them High way and interstate.

I buy my tires frome the goverment. I can get them at action for between $10-20 when I by them 16 at a time. I have not goten any yet that have dry rot but my tires come frome Ft. Lewis

barefootin

Guys, where are you coming up with these pressures? The data plate on my M35A2 says 50 psi at rated capacity for highway use.
That's what mine are set at. It's on the data plate, stenciled above every tire on the fenders and bed, stenciled on my doors, even on two of the rims in white... TP-50 is written so many times on my truck it's usually the first question that is asked....
"What does TP-50 mean?"
This is followed by oh, ok what does CARC mean. Final question is, what does NO RAD mean... My answer, no clue. No Radiation maybe;)

To the OP; Glad your OK and had the means to do a quick change! I like your portable set up as it looks similar to mine.

Last edited:

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad everyone was ok and it didnt blow on the road at speed...that would have been nasty for all parties involved.

You are correct! I am lucky that I was in the process of shifting from first to second when it blew...barely moving. Most of the time, my truck never gets to road speed. It is used exclusively for farm use and the closest it has gotten to road speed is the 1 mile of gravel between farms.

steelandcanvas

It's good it happened in a field instead of the Interstate. I exploded a left front at 50 miles per hour with the bed loaded about 5 years ago, and I'm still diggin' seat cushion outta' my butt. The pucker factor was 10+.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a cinder block under the axle? You do know that's a no-no don't you? They're notorious for being unreliable as a jack stand. Use 6x6 cribbing or a regular jack stand to be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks