• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blinker issue has me stumped...

lostintexas

I've been reading through old post and trying to diagnosis my turn indicator issue and I'm stumped. Here are the symptons:
1) Hazards work all four corners, blink perfect
2) Turn indicators will light bulds in the correct direction but will not flash
3) Hazards and brakes cause hazards to stop flashing

Here's what I've done so far:
Replaced all bulbs and connector housings (no change, well lights were a little brighter)
Replaced flasher relay (no change)
Swapped hazard relay and blinker relay (issues stayed with blinkers, so good relays)
Looked for civvy trailer wiring (nothing found, everything was in wire loom with no external trailer plugs found)
Checked fuse #14 with tester and tested good. (since bulbs light don't think this is the issue)

Here's my thinking:
The turn signal indicator switch in the steering column is working since it energizes the systems and in the correct direction.
The relays work since both flash the hazards.
All bulbs good since they flash and light with headlights.

What am I missing? The strange thing is the brakes causing the hazards to stop blinking. I think this may be the key but no clue how or why.

Any advise would be very appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad ground at the light socket(to body)

lostintexas

Bad ground at the emergency brake?
Warthog,

I'm guessing you are referring to #3) Hazards and brakes cause hazards to stop flashing. I should have been more clear and this is the foot brake causing the lights to stay solid. I will recheck grounds ASAP and report back.

The only thing that has questioning this is the hazards work. Isn't the ground common for the blinkers and hazards or am I reading the wiring diagram wrong?

Thanks again guys will check tonight if I get off in time.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a ground wire that attaches to the body that is near the emergency brake. There is usually a 6-legged connector that is with it.

It could be mounted different places. This ground can play havoc with the instrument cluster.

Ground.jpg

Last edited:

Gunzy

The brakes will override the hazard lights and that part is normal. What you are describing does sound to me like a bad T/S flasher. Was it replaced with the proper one? There are at least two different ones that look the same and plug in the same. %%@ is one of them.

lostintexas

The brakes will override the hazard lights and that part is normal. What you are describing does sound to me like a bad T/S flasher. Was it replaced with the proper one? There are at least two different ones that look the same and plug in the same. %%@ is one of them.
I ordered the flasher from LMC truck and it was a 552. I thought that there may be a difference and that is why I swapped the working one in the hazards with the new one. The hazards still worked and blinkers didn't so "assumed" it was good.

Warthog, thanks for the pic. I don't remember that wire being there but may have overlooked it. Will walk out and check.

Really appreciate everything!

lostintexas

There is a ground wire that attaches to the body that is near the emergency brake. There is usually a 6-legged connector that is with it.

It could be mounted different places. This ground can play havoc with the instrument cluster.

View attachment 455334
Hmmm, there wasn't a ground mounted on the ebrake. I'll dig deeper tonight and see if I can find it somewhere else. I'll also see if I can find it in the TM and see what it should go to on the other end and start there.

You guys rock!

Thank you!

K9Vic

Not sure why you ordered a 552 flasher from LMC when you can get them at Walmart or any parts store. Have you tried the solid state flashers, they are slight more but work better and needed when using a trailer with LED tail lights.

If the ground is bad or broken that may be the issue, it will be somewhere on that side. You may have to crawl under the dash and look up above the e-brake. I have seen them in different places.

lostintexas

Well, the ebrake ground is there and looks good.
ground.jpg

The 552 was ordered from LMC when I was ordering lots of other parts and just easier to order than try sneak out from work.

I will pull and re-check the grounds at the lights again this weekend.

Dr.Jay

RTFM
TM 9-2320-289-20
wiring diagram f-13 service lights circuit. page 866

Check the diodes. There are two of them. Each is soldered in behind the fuse box, between the terminals for the flasher relays. ( they can be wrapped in gray tape, or bare)
These are zener diodes. If the diode is damaged from overloading caused by a bad ground (usually the front ground bolts at the core support), it is allowing current to flow in both directions. This causes current to bypass the flasher relay which can produce a constant on with no flash.
Warning If the diode is damaged, it will easily cause severe burns if you touch it while the circuit is energized !!

I have cut out a faulty diode when I have found one with a short, and soldered in a new diode which can be sourced at Radio Shack. It is a chore to perform the repair under the dash, and the fuse box must be dismounted.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks