• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater info for M35A3

FYI....if anyone has been contemplating a block heater as I have been.

I stopped at my local Caterpillar service center today and picked one up for $57. It's an aftermarket model "Hotstart" that Cat sells as a replacement for theirs.

It installs in the freezeplug on the right side of the motor, under where the turbo is.

I didn't think that price was too bad being that I could take it with me and install it right away vs. ordering on-line.

jwaller

thats not bad. I'd jump on it. just make sure it's the right wattage you want. I know for other motors they sell anywhere from a 600-1200 watts. I always like getting the biggest I can. warmer the better IMO.

I finally got around to installing it today. The existing block plug was easily removed and the heater installed easily after I drained the coolant. Refilled coolant, and bled the air out of the system...good to go. Took about 2 hours and I wasn't working at a fast pace.

Plugged it in and the block is nice and toasty :)

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures would help, and do you have the part number for it? I"m looking to put a block heater on mine. Thanks

I'll get some posted later today. Very basic install, even for not having any experience with doing so. There is a soft plug under the turbo on the right side of the engine block that the block heater replaces. Knock out the soft plug (making sure to not knock it into the engine block), let the coolant drain, clean the area where the heater fits into the soft plug hole, and install the heater (The guys at CAT gave me some sealant for the outer rim of the heater....not sure what it was called).

Here's a few pictures, including the manufacturer and part number. I bought mine at my local CAT service center, but I'm sure these can be had online or elsewhere.Installed Hotshot.JPGHotshot.JPG

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic! Thanks for the pix and part # information. Now all I have to do is find a thermostat and this block heater. My deuce never gets over 160 degrees and I think the thermostat is stuck open. Might as well take care of both issues at the same time! Thanks again.

Navo

How were you able to get in there? Did you have to remove a fender? Doesn't look like I have enough room to knock out the freeze plug? Am I missing something?

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I finally got around to installing my block heater today. Actually a much easier process than I expected. I went to NAPA and they sold me the heater that they carry P/N 30202. While the freeze plug seems to be in a really awkward position, I was able to do the whole job by standing on a 2-step step stool & reaching in over the right fender. I used two 12" extensions (3/8" drive) for a punch to remove the freeze plug. I placed the extension against the bottom of the freeze plug & hit it with moderate force with a ball peen hammer. After 1-2 blows, the plug began to pivot inward at the bottom and outward at the top. I then reached in and pulled it out by the top with my fingers. Next, I cleaned up the freeze plug hole with a few light passes with some emery cloth and wiped the hole with a paper towel. Then I "lubricated" the O-ring on the block heater before installing it. I used a drop of Dawn dishwashing detergent to do this - I put the drop on my finger and then ran my finger around the O-ring. This is enough to allow the heater to be easily tapped into the engine block. I used a large socket on the end of a 6" extension (1/2" drive) to tap it in. After checking to verify that the block heater was fully flush against the block, I tightened the allen screw per the manufacturer's instructions. Easy as pie!:D Hope this helps make the job a little easier for anyone considering this project.

Last edited:

Navo

Well, I finally got around to installing my block heater today. Actually a much easier process than I expected. I went to NAPA and they sold me the heater that they carry P/N 30202. While the freeze plug seems to be in a really awkward position, I was able to do the whole job by standing on a 2-step step stool & reaching in over the right fender. I used two 12" extensions (3/8" drive) for a punch to remove the freeze plug. I placed the extension against the bottom of the freeze plug & hit it with moderate force with a ball peen hammer. After 1-2 blows, the plug began to pivot inward at the bottom and outward at the top. I then reached in and pulled it out by the top with my fingers. Next, I cleaned up the freeze plug hole with a few light passes with some emery cloth and wiped the hole with a paper towel. Then I "lubricated" the O-ring on the block heater before installing it. I used a drop of Dawn dishwashing detergent to do this - I put the drop on my finger and then ran my finger around the O-ring. This is enough to allow the heater to be easily tapped into the engine block. I used a large socket on the end of a 6" extension (1/2" drive) to tap it in. After checking to verify that the block heater was fully flush against the block, I tightened the allen screw per the manufacturer's instructions. Easy as pie!:D Hope this helps make the job a little easier for anyone considering this project.
This is AWESOME info!!! Thanks for posting!

Toddtown

Does anyone know the correct orientation of the heating element? Towards the front back up down?? I have the block heater from eastern supplies and of course no instructions and a box from a child's toy with absolutely no info on the heater!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks