• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater installed..no leaks for a few days..now leaks

asg13

Had a block heater installed and it went a few days with no problem now its leaking like crazy? Common issue I suppose..its so bad that all the fluid will be gone in 20 min at the rate its going
Any tips tricks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove it and replace with a standard freeze plug, you just don't need the heater.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With everything made in East Asia now, the rubber is not holding up like it used to. I agree o replacing the rubber unit with a regular freeze plug unless you really need one and can find a quality unit.

asg13

Thanks warthog. Its a kats unit..I think I need it. My glow plug system is fine, however we hit negative 21 once last year and many weeks in the teens

rsh4364

I bought a 1000watt unit from Bostic Motors Inc.,but have not installed yet.It looks sturdy and says made in Canada.I also picked up some spare freeze plugs,just in case it leaks.Last winter was brutal!

Last edited:

Skinny

I think with the large quantity of people with block heaters, eliminating it probably is not the best course of action. Replace the o-ring and see what happens. If it still leaks, buy a different brand. They are not big money, you will be out your time and some antifreeze. I've had mine for 2.5 years without a single issue, has worked great and wouldn't be without it if living up north.

asg13

If I had to guess the shop that changes the oil and installed the heater damaged the plug by over tighten.

What brand do u have?

marand9199

The 1000watt unit from Bostic Motors Inc. are nice units. I put one in the M1009 two years ago with no issues. It heats up nice and makes starting much easier. A must for Chicago winters.

ralph3162

Dual Alternator.jpgThe thread does not specify which vehicle you are working on but I installed this one on my deuce. In the picture it is just above the upper alternator. take out the 1" plug and screw this heater in its place. Quick easy no leaks.

marand9199

I have mine on a 1000 watt timer. On the cold nights usually 2-3 hours will do it. At -20 below maybe 3-4 hours and she is nice and toasty and ready to go with a 5 minute warm up.

cucvrus

I have a GM block heater in my M1009 that was installed in 1995. It is GM PN 12343981 and is still available. It is around $40. US. They key is when you install it to make sure the element is not in contact with the cylinders inside the block. I let mine pluged in for a week at a time when the Christmas New Years holidays come around and we are shut down. I plug it in everyday at 3PM and unplug it at 5AM M-F and it stays pluged in all weekend. This is during the winter months. If you let the defrost control on the defrost position and the temp switch on high it will keep the windshield semi de-iced. It glows for 5 seconds and starts right up. Remember I have everything on my vehicles as OEM as possible. No changes at all to any electrical or fuel systems. Works everytime. Keep them rolling with genuine GM parts. I hope that helps you.

Last edited:

Skinny

I remember installing mine the procedure called for a very small amount of torque in inch pounds. I would recommend following that as I'm sure some engineer spent some time figuring out that number.

I put mine on a nice industrial timer that I purchased from a big box hardware store. Three hours is plenty.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have block heaters in all 3 of my trucks , I would not go without, if you want a very good quality block heater go with Temro , these are the best you will find, they are NOT offshore crap, when it's cold plug it in , if your glow system fails , plug it in , keeps all of the truck happy ,

rsh4364

Thanks for the input guys.This is my first winter with the 1009 as my only transportation.Mine used to start decent when down to 0,but last year it didn't do so well.