• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater M923A1

2mtrucks

I installed a block heater Friday (from NAPA PN Kat30101)...quite easy to do. I used the forward inspection cover because its easiest to get to. It took far longer to drain and refill than install. I did let it sit overnight since the brand I installed recommends both a gasket and sealant. Plugged it in for two hours this morning and it fired like it was 80 degrees outside. I have a working ether system but I would prefer to start it this way. I have had several older tractors and trucks that had to be started with ether and I understand these old Cummins were designed to start that way but I would rather start a warm motor if I have the choice.

Cruceno

Absolutely agree. I'm in your shoes 2mtrucks. My ether start system works great, and there will certainly be situations where I'll be forced to use it. But given the choice I'd much rather start my engine pre-heated by the block heater

2mtrucks

Since the cost of replacing this relatively inexpensive Cummins is approximately equal to the value of the truck, its good insurance. I can do most preventative maintenance but I don't have the tools, heavy equipment or the back for major repairs. It would have to be hired out $$$$$.

2mtrucks

Does anyone have the part no. for a block heater for an M-35A1 multi. ?
Thanks
There is an 11 page long thread in the Deuce section that I just read but it did not seem to clarify much. Looks like most people are using a generic freeze plug heater. I have had a couple A2 Deuces and they seemed to be much better cold weather starters but I never tried to start one at 0 degrees. Maybe an inline hose heater would work? I had a couple of old International tractors that I put inline hose heaters on and they always started great. Without heaters they would not start at all below 40 degrees.

Barfkiller

Without a doubt a block heater is the best modification for the money.
Won't need ether.
Will start in the cold with two batteries.
Melts the snow off your hood if left on long enough.:mrgreen:

Coleman67

Not sure about a M35 truck but my 6.7 cummins took about 4 hrs to heat up in 10 degree weather. Made a difference and started blowing heat a lot sooner...

Cruceno

I've not done any real scientific testing or anything, but I usually try to leave the heater on for at least 2-3 hours or esle I don't think its worth your time to plug it in. Anything shorter than that I just don't notice enough of a change in the cranking abilities of the engine to warrant the power I'm wasting on it.

Ideally, I'll leave mine for at least 6 hours, or overnight to get things good and warm. Obviously it'll take longer to heat up the colder the ambient temperature.

Barfkiller

ICUDOV- I used my block heater last year on a -12 degree night, had it on for 4.5 hours, my truck started up as if it was 70 degrees. I only have two batteries.

If I plan on starting it first thing in the morning I use an appliance timer rated at 15 amps to turn on without me having to go into the cold.
The block heater is 1500 watts, so leaving it on overnight might keep the windows defrosted too!!!

acesneights1

Looking at your pic, I don't need the block heater with the hose nipple on it correct ? there appears to be one with and one without.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Link to the one with a hose nipple?

The one you need is without the nipple. It's basically a inspection plate with a heating element welded in. The one pictured is a ZeroStart 8601046. I found the cheapest place to be O'Reilly's but that was a year ago. This ZeroStart is one piece, but I've heard that others are made where the element screws into the plate. If you get one of those, make sure you tighten the element real good before you install or it will leak.

acesneights1

I ended up getting the Kats from NAPA which I will probably regret since I have not had good luck in the past with their stuff.

tbar123

I originally purchased the 2 piece type from Napa and of course it leaked and then bought the cheaper one from Oreilly's that is 1 piece and have not had a problem yet.... Thanks again swamp donkey!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks