• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater making noise

Kaiserjeeps

Well I am finally stumped. I have owned my M1008 for 1 year next month and every single problem or modification has been answered from the good folks here whom have done this stuff already. There is a good chance my question is nothing, but I would like to make sure. I noticed my 6.2 had a block heater in it with no cord. It is a 600 watt unit. I got online to find a cord and ended up buying a Zerostart Temro 1000 watt with a cord. The 600 watt unit also looks like a Zerostart with the brass body. I cleaned the terminals and plugged it in. It started hissing and I guess the best description is a pan of water just shy of boiling making the same type of sound. I am assuming it is just doing it's job and is indeed hot to the touch after being on for 10 minutes. The only heaters I had been using were the 400 watt magnetic ones you clean and stick to the oil pan. Well we hit 1 degree above zero and the start ups' were pretty violent for a good 20-30 seconds. We don't have fire protection where I live and messing with electricity I want to make sure this heater is not having issues. This noise is normal?

I am about to do a 2.5 inch mandrel bent dual exhaust with Donaldson mufflers and planned on switching out the block heater then to the 1K Zerostart unit. Last year we hit 20 below for a good week or two. Today it's 30 above. I definitely need some type heater for sure for those cold snaps. I am also wondering if these rough starts are what can break the crankshafts I read about.
I've been eyeballing a fluidamper but not this close to Christmas. :mrgreen:

I appreciate the help. It's probably nothing but not ever using this type of heater before, it's worth a question.

cpf240

I'm confused. Which one are you asking about? The one that was already installed, or did you swap it out for the new one? If you swapped them out, then how much has it been run since the swap? I'm asking because the instructions for those usually say to go through several run cycles before plugging them in, to be sure all the air is out of the cooling system. Otherwise, the heater might be sitting in a pocket of air, and could burn itself out.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its normal for a heater to hiss & snap & pop, especially when you just plug them in. The more heat you put on them, the better they start.

Kaiserjeeps

This is on the existing 600 watt heater I found in the block. I just cleaned the terminals and plugged it in. I will probably put the new 1000 watt heater in later. I wanted to see if this one worked. I just never expected block heaters to make any sound at all. You can hear it about 6 feet away. Good to know it is nothing. I had to ask. I went out after my post and found the power cord was warm. Not hot but warm. I decided to unplug it and just plug it in an hour or three before I drive it. My outlets are all 20 amp outlets for the stronger prongs inside. And the power cord is a good sized one. The fire dept is about 40 minutes away. That is IF they decided to respond. So I try to be a little cautious because if a breaker does not trip and anything lights off, I am the one who has to stop it. Great to hear it is normal and I sure appreciate the reply's.

I'm having a great time fixing this truck. I did break a TH400 case near the tail shaft. It had rotten mounts. It had a lot of electrical issues and not much of the dash worked. Lots of cleaning grounds and repairing connections. I have added a trans temp gauge, oil pressure and coolant temp in the dash and it looks great. Recently I was able to get a trailer brake controller in. It has a flatbed and I just got new oak on the stake sides. I added a pintle hitch for my M105 to move it and for my newly acquired M101 to use it. I put a new dash pad and bottom seat cover including a new rubber floor mat after painting the floors. It also has a 205 with a PTO and for awhile I thought it was not an M1008. But it is. It was a forestry truck for the Cle Elum ranger district out of Seattle. It was built with hydraulics and came with a pump and controls. . I took the pump and controls off and they may end up on the deuce for a dump bed someday. I have a Isspro tachometer on the way so I can try to keep it under 3K RPM and same with a new mandrel bent exhaust system I need to weld up. I have a 93 4L80E that needs a rebuild. I have not found anybody around here that sounds like they know the upgrades for the trans yet. People drive pretty fast around here and it needs another gear pretty bad. That has to wait for now but I am looking forward to getting it in next year. The doghead mod has been done and It's really coming around and becoming a nice driver. It has been parked till the weather warmed up some and or I got my power cord. Both happened. When I plugged it in tonight and it started hissing I was wondering. I don't have much experience with diesels other than my deuce, let alone this type of block heater. Glad to hear it is normal and working.
Thanks a lot. Another thing crossed off the list.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

Another tip for the heater it to plug it into a Killawatt (you can get them at home improvement stores). Then you can see the size of the heater and that it's working correctly.

Kaiserjeeps

What a great idea on the kilawatt. My next trip into town it will be done. My little magnetic heater was only a 200 watt. I'm putting it back where it was on the side of my air compressor to help it start. So the Temro 600 watt heater in the block is working great. And it does quiet down when the engine gets warm. I kept see sawing on leaving it plugged in. Yesterday I get a call from a friend in Oregon where I used to live. His garage burned from some electrical problem. His moms jeep liberty was in there along with lathes and mills. The fire dept was quick to respond, but he lost a lot of stuff. That cinched it for me. I am going to get a heavy gauge power cord short in length and just plug it in three hours before I go anywhere. I am glad the 600 watt was in there already. I'll upgrade to the 1000 watt later maybe. And just two weeks ago we were at 1 degree. Now it's 31 and raining like crazy. We should have 3 feet of snow by now. Thanks for the suggestion on the kilowatt meter and the good words on the kats heater. Makes me want to take the truck for a drive. I'm starting to really enjoy the truck after all the repairs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good to see you check in now and then Al! I just got a truck with the 6.5 and I have a timer rated at 10 amps. I plug the block heater in at night and the timer turns the heater on for an hour before I get up, it works pretty good.

Also, watch out on those magnetic heaters, SWB used one and it almost set his truck on fire. If it doesn't have 100% contact it can overheat.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?80282-Block-Heater-Fire&highlight=heater

Last edited:

Kaiserjeeps

Well I have to see what's happening in the MV world. Actually I do more reading than posting now. I can be a wordy when I do post though. That's what happens when you move to the middle of no where and spend days on end solo. And I just plain missed all you guys. :D I was wondering about the amp draw and timers. Watch the ratings I guess. I found a nice sized number 10 wire cord to make a short extension with 20 amp plugs. And I like Tim292stro's s idea also. I'll be dialed in no time. I have a tach showing up soon. An Isspro that runs off the crank with two opposing magnets and a pick up. I did not see much on those while searching. More of the alternator based stuff. I started thinking about belt slippage and inaccuracy so I went with the Isspro. I would rather work on my CUCV than most anything else. I'm trying to figure out how to get it on my wifes honey do list. She aint buying it. I'm going to Spokane Friday to look at my old M715. It's getting modern running gear under it with a Isuzu diesel and then back to the Seattle area. I accidentally found it on CL. Pains me to see but it is not mine anymore. I'm bringing the guy all the build pics on CD. Great to hear from you Gimp! And thanks Tim292stro.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

So now that the weather is getting colder here, I am thinking my heater isn't working. It sparks when I plug it in to indicate a current draw, but man does it take a while for the temp gauge to move. I am also getting longer crank times as the temp falls. I put new glow plugs in this year(5 were dead) but I plug it in just to help make easier starts.

I will have to check with an IR temp gun to see if it is working on a cold start.

Anyway to tell other than hearing it pop and boil?

Chaski

Option 1)
Clamp on ammeter would be a good choice if you have one, A 600 Watt block heater should pull 5 amps, A 1000 watt one should pull about 8.3 amps. If you don't have a clamp on ammeter and a cord with separated conductors (you have to clamp over only one conductor) go to option 2.

Option 2)
You should also be able to take a multimeter set on ohms and read across the hot and neutral on the plug (when it is unplugged). Should be about 24 ohms for a 600 watt block heater, or 14.4 ohms for a 1000 watt block heater.

Last edited:

Kaiserjeeps

You could also crawl under and feel the block around the heater. It should be warm after 30 minutes or so. Not very technical but it would be another way to see.
I sure have noticed a BIG difference in starting ease here. 8 above and it starts right up after some time heating. Hope yours is still working Chris. Changing one looks like a pile of messy fun.

gimpyrobb

If mine isn't working, I'm gonna just throw an MBU kitchen heater under the truck! That should thaw it out reasonably...

61sleepercab

I used a lamp timer to time a VW block heater to turn on at 3:00am . I unplugged unit before starting as blowing an air pocket past a hot heater element will burn it out. Car started fast and heater warmed up quickly. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks