• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heater or no block heater

asg13

I have searched quite a bit on this topic, however just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I live in southern West Virginia temperature sometimes in the single digits but not often. Is a block heater really necessary. I will be driving the truck tomorrow morning and it will be in the teens more than likely in my area. Fingers crossed.who has them and who does not?

Maybe jus some antigel?

Last edited:

jw4x4

Block heater is the only way to go in cold climates. Easy starts and faster warm-up. Immediate warm air to the heater/defroster so there's no scraping. Get a heavy duty, high amp rated timer. No need to have the block heater on for extended periods (all night).

jw4x4

Yes indeed. Do not use the magnet type. Get the one that replaces a freeze plug and MAKE SURE the coolant level remains FULL and free of air.

asg13

26 right now. Fired right up after 2 cycles of the plugs....hipefully in the morn wont b an issue....went ahead and added some anit gel as well..thanks for all the info

I use a high amp freeze plug heater and an inline lower radiator hose heater. Absolutely essential where I live.

But single digits, which we've already have had, are no problem starts without them. So my recommendation would be to instal one for the convenience and benefits described above, but that it is not absolutely necessary.

I also switch to a thinner oil which makes a big difference as well as well as adding some treatment to each fill up.

topgun217

Temp. dipped into the 20's here last night. I don't have a block heater on my 1009, and have never had an issue. Just cycle your glow plugs twice and she should start right up, mine does. I have thought about a block heater though, I'll be honest. Just never got around to it. As for the anti-gel, never used it. I do use the Lucas fuel treatment every other fill up.

Ilikemtb999

I purchased one from ebay for $20. It was a Kats 11612 which was the same one they had at napa for more. Install was pretty straight forward into the middle freeze plug on the driver's side. Worst part is the mess draining coolant. I think it's worth the small investment and time it takes for the benefits. I also use power service diesel additive on every fill up as well just in case.

I use a block heater on all my vehicles including the gasoline ones; just makes for an easier start up and less wear and tear on your engine.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just ordered a oil pan heater, a lower radiator hose heater and a set of 25watt battery heaters. Do you think I have it all covered for this winter? Oh yea, have a timer too.... Next spring I will do the freeze plug heater or get my son to do it. My 1008 only has 8K miles so I went over to synthetic oil too...

j.cherry377

`for operation below zero degrees f kat battery heaters, circulating heaters and tranny heater is a good idea, a must below -10. Heaters should only come on when below 20 degrees or 1-2 hours before departure when above 20 degrees for minimizing heat up times. A dual stage setup would work best where if you drive every day the 1200 watt circulating heater would come on 1-2 hours before departure or if temp drops below -5 to -10 and pan/tranny/battery heaters on at zero

I just ordered a oil pan heater, a lower radiator hose heater and a set of 25watt battery heaters. Do you think I have it all covered for this winter? Oh yea, have a timer too.... Next spring I will do the freeze plug heater or get my son to do it. My 1008 only has 8K miles so I went over to synthetic oil too...
Dang! It doesn't get that cold on the N. Side of Boll'mer, does it Dudley? On the bonus side, the truck should fire right up, and the heat should be pumping in a jiffy!

prairie

`for operation below zero degrees f kat battery heaters, circulating heaters and tranny heater is a good idea, a must below -10. Heaters should only come on when below 20 degrees or 1-2 hours before departure when above 20 degrees for minimizing heat up times. A dual stage setup would work best where if you drive every day the 1200 watt circulating heater would come on 1-2 hours before departure or if temp drops below -5 to -10 and pan/tranny/battery heaters on at zero
Excellent advice cherry377. That is similar to the way I have most of my pickups, trucks and tractors set up. An in-block/frost plug type heater for down to about 20*F, and 1500 watt recirculating heaters for colder temps. All are usually plugged into timers set to kick on at least 2-3 hours ahead of the intended start time.
When temps are sub zero, I have both types of heaters kick on.
My M1008 was not plugged in, but my hired man said it started right up at 3*F yesterday morning, after cycling the glow plugs three times before attempting to start it.
I would think in West Virginia, the original posters state, that a frost plug type heater by itself would be more than adequate.

acesneights1

Worst case scenario, keep a hairdryer handy and stick it in the intake for a few minutes. NEVER use starting fluid on a 6.2.
Freeze plug one is the way to go but a PIA to do. messy and hard to get the old plug out. Once you get the old one out the rest is easy.

rsh4364

I would definetly do block heater,I have a kim hotstart TPS151GT10-000,that I have not installed,No time,and my 1009 starts everyday down to 0 so far,I would look at a Jatonka Winter Grill Cover though,really makes a difference,well fitting and well made,and easily installed.

asg13

17 degrees at 330am this morn..she fired right up..still gonna look into the freeze plug heater

donalloy1

Yes indeed. Do not use the magnet type. Get the one that replaces a freeze plug and MAKE SURE the coolant level remains FULL and free of air.
Why so dead set against magnetic pan mount type? My O9 came from UT. and that's what National Guard put on it. Just asking... When they die will it potentially damage power pack/vehicle. Such as catch on fire or something?

Pretty rare that we get into teens here in California! It does happen though. What is our threshold 30, 20, 10 for preheat?????

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look at a Jatonka Winter Grill Cover though,really makes a difference,well fitting and well made,and easily installed.[/QUOTE]

After you get the engine cranked and warmed up, the Jatonka Winter Grill Cover is a must-have to maintain correct operating temperature while driving in very cold climates. This relative inexpensive cover will substantially reduce radiator heat loss, thereby facilitating higher operating temperatures and better fuel detonation, not to mention faster cab heater and defroster operation. The cover is specially made for the CUCV grille and attaches with three (3) snaps on top and two (2) turn buttons on the front. Here are a few photos of mine -

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks