• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater Questions (8.3L)

JohnnyBM931A2

So after doing a few searches regarding block heaters, I have a few questions. First, it seems like there was a bad run of the freeze plug type heaters (people kept having them burn out quickly.) Has that issue been resolved? Also, are there any brands to avoid, or are they all made by the same manufacturer? And finally, have any of you installed 2 block heaters in one of these 6CTA engines? I was originally thinking about running 1 block heater plus the NOS 24v coolant circulation pump that I bought. However, that thing pulls 20amps, so running it all the time PLUS a block heater would really be costly. It would also be more difficult to do the electrical stuff. I already wired in an outlet in the garage that can handle 15A. If my math is correct, 1 750w heater will draw a little over 6A. So 2 would be fine on one circuit, and I wouldn't have to do any additional electrical work. If I went with 1 heater and the circulation pump, I would have to run an additional 20A circuit all the way back to the panel in the basement :(

As always, any and all input is appreciated (hopefully positive.)

Last edited:

sweetk30

better recheck your info .

I just got a katz 30108 from local napa and installed it for a guy and it was a 1000 watt unit .

goes in just above the starter pass side freeze plug real good and easy .

just got to drain over 7gal coolent and still spill a little bit when you pop out the plug .

ran the cord back under the cab and out the side behind the fender / top of tool storage box .

acme66

I have run the percolator style heaters on two of my trucks. Not as efficient as a freeze plug unit but they both work fine. I can get the block up to 160ish in a few hours. Of course the temps plummet as soon as the water pump is circulating but it is enough to start it easy. I will be looking at a freeze plug one soon because given the crap floating around in my motor I would really like to put a coolant filter and plan to tap in where I have the heater now.

Ken

JohnnyBM931A2

better recheck your info .

I just got a katz 30108 from local napa and installed it for a guy and it was a 1000 watt unit .

goes in just above the starter pass side freeze plug real good and easy .

just got to drain over 7gal coolent and still spill a little bit when you pop out the plug .

ran the cord back under the cab and out the side behind the fender / top of tool storage box .
Thank you. I will need to look at that one. I swear I kept seeing heaters in the 600-750w range, but maybe they were for smaller Cummins diesels. So just one should be good.

JohnnyBM931A2

I have run the percolator style heaters on two of my trucks. Not as efficient as a freeze plug unit but they both work fine. I can get the block up to 160ish in a few hours. Of course the temps plummet as soon as the water pump is circulating but it is enough to start it easy. I will be looking at a freeze plug one soon because given the crap floating around in my motor I would really like to put a coolant filter and plan to tap in where I have the heater now.

Ken
Yeah.. I'm thinking the freeze plug version is the way to go. Need to get it done soon.. Temps are already in the 40's here at night, and we occasionally have our first snow before Halloween.

Make sure you put up a YouTube video or pictures here when you and your little buddy install the coolant filter ;) I am thinking about installing one too. Granted, if I remember correctly your trucks all have the 14L engines, so your install will be different from mine. But it would still be good to see it.

74M35A2

The heaters are robust. They will burn out quickly if turned on dry or if the block is not full of coolant. The 6CTA8.3 starts relatively well, even in the winter, in my personal opinion. Even without ether assist. The 8.3 also has an oil pan port for an engine oil heater, I bought and put one on. It threads right into a plug screwed into the drain pan just above the drain plug. Doubt I will ever use either though, the engine starts pretty good, and when really cold, I do use a shot of ether to lessen the load on the batteries and starter. I have successfully started the truck in ambient temps as low as -17F, with no heater assist. It should help to warm up the cab heat much faster though.

JohnnyBM931A2

The heaters are robust. They will burn out quickly if turned on dry or if the block is not full of coolant. The 6CTA8.3 starts relatively well, even in the winter, in my personal opinion. Even without ether assist. The 8.3 also has an oil pan port for an engine oil heater, I bought and put one on. It threads right into a plug screwed into the drain pan just above the drain plug. Doubt I will ever use either though, the engine starts pretty good, and when really cold, I do use a shot of ether to lessen the load on the batteries and starter. I have successfully started the truck in ambient temps as low as -17F, with no heater assist. It should help to warm up the cab heat much faster though.
Sweet.. I had no idea there was also an oil heater available for this engine. I went ahead and ordered the 1000w Kats heater.. I will get it installed soon. I'll see how things go this Winter, and then determine if I need to do anything additional for the next one.

Glad to hear the 8.3 is fairly easy to start in the cold.

JohnnyBM931A2

Update: Block heater has been installed, and am trying to verify whether or not it is working properly. Temp outside is 30 degrees. I have been running the heater for 3 hours, and the temp gauge still has not moved. Is that normal for this ambient temp? Should I wait a few more hours to check it, or is something wrong?

74M35A2

Same as above. They take hours, and it won't move the gauge. An 8.3 should crank right up in that temp though, I think you are just confirming if it works? Check if it is warm around it like said above. If not, unplug and measure the resistance across it. Make sure your extension cord is plugged into a working non-switched outlet, etc....

162tcat

Ditto, one thing to add though. You'll need to use a heavy duty extension cord, not some little dinky one like you use for Christmas lights. They pull a thousand watts or more while plugged in so keep that in mind otherwise you'll notice it on the power bill if you leave it plugged in all the time. I don't use mine on the 8.3 unless it's getting down into the teens and I'm going to run at the next day.

JohnnyBM931A2

Same as above. They take hours, and it won't move the gauge. An 8.3 should crank right up in that temp though, I think you are just confirming if it works? Check if it is warm around it like said above. If not, unplug and measure the resistance across it. Make sure your extension cord is plugged into a working non-switched outlet, etc....
Yeah I am just trying to verify if it works before the bad weather starts to hit. I know for sure that the cord is being powered.. It's a brand new tested outlet that I just installed, and also because I bought a nice heavy duty Ridgid cord with an illuminated end :)

JohnnyBM931A2

Thanks guys.. I will go out there and feel the block around it to see if it is working.

EDIT: Just went out and popped the hood.. Block is toasty warm :cool: Thanks for the clarification guys.

Last edited: