• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heater

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very low mileage M1165...

The block heater seems to be there. Is it usable once I clean it up? Is that a standard block heater plug, and where do I get one? Just a straight plug-n-play or does it need some sort of controller between the house current and those pins?

BlockHeater.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very low mileage M1165...

The block heater seems to be there. Is it usable once I clean it up? Is that a standard block heater plug, and where do I get one? Just a straight plug-n-play or does it need some sort of controller between the house current and those pins?

View attachment 885008
Hummerpartsguy sells the OEM block heater like that….most later Hmmwv’s have this block heater.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AAR:

35° this morning and the truck fired up easily.

- Before the block heater (and at 45°) I would have to make two attempts to get it running while pumping the pedal like I do in the M1009 (not cycling the GPs because I hear that's bad).
- With the block heater it starts just the same way it does when it's 60°+ and there's no scary sounding diesel clatter.

Highly recommended!

EDIT to correct the temp.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My experience with M1009's and HumV's. CUCV's one pedal pump to set high idle, cycle glow plugs (automatic if working correctly or 5 seconds manual) and starts right up.

HumV's, Cold advance working and glow action working correctly ?? and start. Start cranking time is less than saying the words "Start the truck" LOL Yes, there will be a little tapping and a ticking. Maybe one puff, a poof, likely none of smoke. Three minutes of idling... and engine smooth right out.

Winters here get down to 10 - 15 degrees and never have issues starting. Sure a block heater would take the wear and tear out of the start procedure at the expense of $$$ to the power company.

IMO a more serious concern would be gelling fuel. That would be a mess, but a diesel treatments prior to expected super cold winter conditions would be in order.

The fleet PC250043.JPG

Hot coffee get the motor started, CAMO

Last edited:

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV with new glow plugs, strong starter and winterized diesel. I started it no problem down to -10F last year. I did have to play a bit with the throttle, but I believe that was a flakey cold advance sensor...

So while a block heater is nice for quicker warm up, it's not mandatory.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
When do you guys start adding that stuff to your fuel?
Depending on fuel quality for me... when the high temperature never get above + 40 and at night dips in the high teens or less for most of the night. Cheap insurance. Some diesel additive will keep your rig running in the freezing weather.

Global warming ?? or freeze your HumV dead in it's tracks, CAMO

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Minnesota fuel at the pump is winterized from Oct 1 to March 31. (Some places will do it a bit earlier and later.).

I always add winterizer addative all year round to my diesel. Since I don't know how much I'm going to drive 1 oz per 5 gallons of diesel is pretty easy to do and will keep anything from having an issue.

Autonomy_Lost

Lo and behold, I just discovered my truck has a block heater too! Can anyone confirm that this is the right cord?

Edit: better yet, here is an OEM one that comes with a block heater for $15 shipped. I'm not sure if the block heater is the same but the plug on the cord sure looks the same:

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both plugs look correct, I do not see the 6.2/6.5L listed on the one with the heater so that heater itself may not fit your block.
BUT the one with the heater has a "factory" plug and cord and the other looks aftermarket (read cheap)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa has them - Part Number 28400 by Kat's, should be about the same price with no waiting.
I could have used that part number about an hour before you posted it.
Spent about 45 minutes looking to try and make sure I was ordering the correct one as either they have a lot of different cords that all use that basic plug, or they like to use stock images too much (probably a combination of both)
Half that time though was spent trying to decide what to buy to bump my cart up to free shipping level, as the cost difference between the $35 free shipping mark and fuel to drive to the nearest store and back are about the same. Because of AAA discount and a $5 NAPA rewards, that ended up being 4 quarts of full synthetic 5W-30 for my business.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cords are pretty universal as will fit many vehicles with the same brand.
Gm does not make it. That is a reboxed/labeled aftermarket.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cords are pretty universal as will fit many vehicles with the same brand.
Gm does not make it. That is a reboxed/labeled aftermarket.
That may be but you can simply look at the "factory" ones and the Chicom repops and the difference is obvious, GM has standards for anything that gets their name printed on it.
The "factory" ones have heat/chafe protection for one thing, they use heavier wire and wire insulation for another.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks