• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block heater

BobM

My 1008 doesn't have a block heater and while I am replacing the bottom radiator hose, with the expected coolant replacement, I was wanting to install a block heater at the same time.
But Autozone doesn't sell them and the kid at NAPA doesn't know what size freeze plug heater that I need. Any help? :?:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the 6.2 uses different size freeze plugs. You need to determine where you want to install the heater and measure the plug diameter.

84cucv1ton

Re: RE: Block heater

maritimer said:
i use a 1500w circulationg coolant heater in my m1009, installs in about 30 minutes on the one side of a the heater core hoses

where can i get one of these? sounds like a good way to go

m38inmaine

Go the extra effort and use the block heater, the hose type loose alot of heat, you will be very pleased with the block heater. I have mine on a timer, set it 3 hours prior to run time.

CCATLETT1984

m38inmaine said:
Go the extra effort and use the block heater, the hose type loose alot of heat, you will be very pleased with the block heater. I have mine on a timer, set it 3 hours prior to run time.
maritimer was refering to the "convection pump style" heater. They blow a regular block heater out of the water, much better.

Dabba

maritimer said:
i use a 1500w circulationg coolant heater in my m1009, installs in about 30 minutes on the one side of a the heater core hoses
Circulates warm coolant through the cold block? How long do you let it sit on before starting? and where could you get one?

msoumas

Would it be possible to run one of these heaters through a dedicated battery? No driveway = no extension cord access.

BobM

maritimer said:
How much (more or less) does one of these heaters cost? Any pics?

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Block heater

I can't remember how much the coolant heaters run, I got mine at NAPA, but the engine must be warm when you plug them in cause the thermostat has to be open. This is according to the directions off of them. The one I have is the 2000W Katz heater, I went to the next bigger size. They turn off and on at preset temps. I will take a pic tommorrow, though I thought I posted one here last year.

madsam

In my jeeps, there is not freeze plug heater I have found for it. I use a lower radiator hose heater.. That works good in the middle and the heat rises to the block. Not to expensive. About $30.

My 5 ton had a block heater in a plate on the block.

BobM

madsam said:
In my jeeps, there is not freeze plug heater I have found for it. I use a lower radiator hose heater.. That works good in the middle and the heat rises to the block. Not to expensive. About $30.

Does your heater hose heaters need the engine to be warm before plugging in? That seems to defeat the purpose.

madsam

BobM said:
madsam said:

Does your heater hose heaters need the engine to be warm before plugging in? That seems to defeat the purpose.
No.. They go into the middle of the lower radiator hose. You cut the lower hose and put it in with 2 clamps. You plug them in and there is a heater element in the little tube that was inserted in between the half's of the hose. The engine comes up above freezing at -25 here in the mountains of Colorado.

These are not as efficient as the freeze plugs, but far easer to install. I have found the tank/circulation ones hard to deal with as you have to place them between the top of the engine and the bottom in hight. There is no adjusting the lower radiator hose ones. Zerostart makes them in different sizes from 1.5 inch up to 2 inch hose size. Ebay has lots of them. I have gotten mine from Napa.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

I've been very happy with my freeze plug heater for my CUCV. It only took about five minutes to install and two hours to remove the plug that fell inside the block.

Wolf.Dose

The 6.2 l DD engine is a commercial product. So It should be possible to find a cyvilian engine heater for any region that fits. However, the problem is the age. To my experiance the standard Auto Parts Shop even does not have the oil filter any more. So you need a guy there, which is long enough in the business to remenber that engine. These people might be able to help you. I experianced, if they want to, some of the elder one can do it even with almost no profit on it, however, it needs several days to deliver. (I'm 3 to 4 times a year in the States).
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks