• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heaters

jamesonsdad

hello all new to this site and would like to say hello from the adirondacks and i could use a tip or two....i recently purchased a 86 m1009 and a matching 3/4 ton trailer and am tossed between a frost plug style heater or a tank heater which would i have better luck with??i am currently using a drop light and heavy packing blanket under the hood ,...been helping but it's about to get -19 here and she is my dd so i want her to start as easy as she can(btw her name is betty after betty paige) any tips would be greatly appreciated thanx and looking forward to chattin with anyone who is inclined to do so[thumbzup]

xenocath

searching.............
i did a search on the site came up with the napa number and installed it i believe it was 41mm took me about two hours think it cost around 20 bucks.

DokWatson

Im running battery blankets and a freeze plug heater. The coldest I've started it yet was at -12 on the first crank.

Another combination I hear about is trickle chargers plus block heaters. I tried a trickle charger, but it didn't seem to help. I like being able to feel stuff actually working instead of assuming its doing its job anyways.

CUCV85

i did a search on the site came up with the napa number and installed it i believe it was 41mm took me about two hours think it cost around 20 bucks.
Napa has them, put one in my dads oh9, works great. they can look them up by aplication. Between 25-35 bucks
hello all new to this site and would like to say hello from the adirondacks and i could use a tip or two....i recently purchased a 86 m1009 and a matching 3/4 ton trailer and am tossed between a frost plug style heater or a tank heater which would i have better luck with??i am currently using a drop light and heavy packing blanket under the hood ,...been helping but it's about to get -19 here and she is my dd so i want her to start as easy as she can(btw her name is betty after betty paige) any tips would be greatly appreciated thanx and looking forward to chattin with anyone who is inclined to do so[thumbzup]
Im running battery blankets and a freeze plug heater. The coldest I've started it yet was at -12 on the first crank.

Another combination I hear about is trickle chargers plus block heaters. I tried a trickle charger, but it didn't seem to help. I like being able to feel stuff actually working instead of assuming its doing its job anyways.
Engine freeze plug heaters - napa work great around $20.00
I have installed 5 now in family MV's, I believe I put them in the second hole back from the front... I used a slender punch to blast a hole in the freeze plug. Then I used a pry bar and long handle needle nose plyers to get it out. Don't worry if you knock into the coolant port you can get your fingers in there to get a hold of it!

camojcory

freeze plug heater hands down. spend the extra $15 and by a 1000 watt heater (most are 600 watt) from O'Reilly's. took ten minutes to install. i hooked mine up to a timer to kick on 3 hrs before i leave in the morning. i have even come out to melting snow on the hood. i live in south dakota with -0 temps and cranking winds, starts like it's 80+ temp outside.

jamesonsdad

thanx for all the advice i am going with the freeze plug style found a 1000 watt at zerotemp part#3100059 bye the way this site is a pleaser to be on...:lol:

CUCV85

freeze plug heater hands down. spend the extra $15 and by a 1000 watt heater (most are 600 watt) from O'Reilly's. took ten minutes to install. i hooked mine up to a timer to kick on 3 hrs before i leave in the morning. i have even come out to melting snow on the hood. i live in south dakota with -0 temps and cranking winds, starts like it's 80+ temp outside.
Timer - Exactly, got mine at walmart but I only do 2 hours before start up. Each his own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks