• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Block Heating ... How long?

Ok I know I'm going to get the 'Piece of string response' but ..

• 30 mins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NormB

I don't know what's worst my typing or spelling , I just blame public schools with good shop classes and a era before computer and keyboards.
Since basic training (Ft. Lost in the Woods, Misery, Spring-summer 1977) I've said that typing was the most useful class I ever took in high school. Day two or three my drill sergeant asked if anyone could type and - yeah, I know, my dad, a WW2 vet pounded it into my head "NEVER VOLUNTEER" - I got selected to do company clerk-typist stuff a few hours a day while everyone else did front-leaning rest in the mud and dust and other hoo-ah stuff.

Was doing Fortran and Basic programming around 1971 and got bored with it.

Took general shop class - shoulda taken welding, paid more attention in any case.

I'm following this thread as I just installed a block heater in my 6.2 HMMWV and wasn't sure how long it should work. An hour, two? Overnight? I left it on overnight just to see what kind of temp/pressure developed and how much current/kwh were drawn. 1000 W unit only draws about 950W, less when it gets warmed up.

Friend of mine has some beast of a four year old diesel truck (F350 6.7L scorpion) out in Cody, Wyoming, keeps block heater on all night and can't get it warmed up to "normal op temp around town".

I suggested he put cardboard in front of the grill like we used to with the deuces to get 'em warm (and I've seen magnetic and clip-on shields for "big-rigs" in truck stops).

Some of y'all might consider that trick.

There's NO "wind chill" regarding machines, but forced cold air can bring the temps down a LOT (isn't that how the cooling systems are designed?) the lower the ambient temp, the faster you're moving, etc. Interesting integral calculus calculation there, like how much wetter you get running in the rain across a parking lot than just walking.

NB

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks