• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blow Torch with my little Homelight Generator

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a little Homelight military Generator (24-28 VDC Model # 20.5D28-23A) that I got a few years back. It had a crack in the fuel bowl which got fixed this summer. Attached to this generator was a little blow torch which I would like to get working, but there is nothing to identify it (the decal is almost completely gone, as you can see in the pictures). It has a little wick and bowl beneath outlet.

Does anyone recognize this little blow torch? The pressure pump still holds pressure. I have no idea what ti runs on.

Thanks for any help help or hints you have.

IMG_4140R.jpgIMG_4141R.jpgIMG_4142R.jpg

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Looks like the old soldering torches that I have. They run on gasoline and I am sure you can find instructions and videos on how to light and run them online.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have 2 of those in the shop.. but dont know how to start or run them.. i would be interested in knowing more about them myself so ill be watching this trend.. you say they hold pressure from the pump.. ill have to look at mine again. i have the tags on one that is readable if that would help out some

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
image.jpgI have an old mechanics book that has the procedures for running these but it is a little lengthy. May be easier to search online. The hook on top is to hold the shaft of a soldering iron and that will allow the head to be positioned in the flame. Like the photo above.

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering about that hook. This is definitely "old school" then. Cape Coastie, I would like some suggestions for google searches, if you have them.

Timntrucks, I would love to see the tags and decals on these soldering torches if you have them.

Thanks,

Storm 51

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i will get them both our tomorrow and take some pics to post. mine look like cape coastie's as mine are not military. ill get a close up of the name tag

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
There are several good videos on YouTube and I am sure there are written or copied to the web. Search " how to operate or use an antique blow torch". Very interesting playing with them just be careful!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not sure i would want to use one but they look cool. its storming here so search time was cut short but the one i found didnt have the label on it.

Attachments

macona

My dad has one identical. You put gas in, pump it up and open the valve with the little plate in the slot of the nozzle. This causes gasoline to fill the trough below. You light it and pull the plate out and the burning gasoline in the trough heats the vaporizer. After a few minutes the flame coming out of the end will get more powerful and you adjust the valve to get the flame you want.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too much too them to be apprehensive about. They were prevalent in the plumbing trades soldering or melting the lead pots, before propane was common. Macona nailed the start-up. Great independent heat source, regardless of conditions. They have brewed many pots of coffee. I believe some versions ran on kerosene or stove oil.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this looks like another little winter project to keep boredom at bay. This came with my little generator unit, and now that I got the generator fixed over the summer, I'll start playing with this little blow torch.

I remember seeing these little blow torches in the cartoons when I was a little kid and always thought they were so cool. Now, 60 years later I'll final get to play with one! :)

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks