• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blowing rear main seal

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So your saying you've done it already?

Is the crank grooved? Might need a "speedy sleeve".

Have you checked the transmission isn't the culprit? Many belch G.O. on the clutch.

DieselBob

If it is for a fact engine oil I would suspect like stated above that it has enough wear or a defect in the surface of the crank hub to require a sleeve. Outside chance could be that for some reason the hub has to much radial run out.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Something else could be to much longitudinal crankshaft movement due to excessive clearance in the thrust bearings.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

I'd lean toward the transmission.

Is oil getting on the clutch? That right there is the biggest indicator. Its pretty hard for engine oil to get to the clutch.

gimpyrobb

Take some pics if you have time(and clean enough hands).

I'm guessing you'll drop the trans for this, might want to pull the input shaft cover on the trans and look at the workings in the front of the trans. (pics of that too)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you getting your seals from? What brand and how old are they?

4 times, how far between?

What do the failed seals look like?

Doug Roberts

Input shaft is good, new input housing and mainshaft bearings good. It is leaking engine oil from rear crank seal, not gear oil from the transmission. No excessive end play on crank, crankcase breather is clear and not clogged. There's no excessive pressure from crankcase. Air compressor is not compressing crankcase either. We're getting the seal from White Owl in Kinston NC. Don't know the brand or how old it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks