• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown 6.2 any suggestions

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good time to upgrade to a 4L80e! Think of the highway speeds! Haha

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Krausk

Hello again, I'm still debating whether or not to pull transmission and put a new pump in or buy a good th400 as there seems to be several in my area. What I don't know is whether to buy a 2wd or 4wd version. Does anyone know if the 2wd will work or know the tail shaft length? I have the older transfer case - think it is a np218. Thanks for the help.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have it rebuilt then you know what you have . Put a used transmission in and you could be doing it over in a couple months .

dilvoy

The 4x4 transmissions have a much shorter tail shaft. It can be swapped into a two wheel drive trans, bug it loads from the front so the trans needs to be taken all apart. You could buy a B&M rebuild kit and do the job yourself. The kit comes with very good step by step instructions.

Krausk

So B&M actually has directions? Interesting. Looks like I'll be rebuilding my first every transmission when time permits. Thank you for the info!

dilvoy

I have used their rebuild kits on Chrysler 727's and one Turbo 400. They leave out one of the bands, because it never really wears out, unless someone constantly adjusts it over and over. That band will start slipping before the material wears through, unless someone has gone beyond spec on the adjustment. On a used car is really impossible to tell if a band has been adjusted after it's first assembly so I always just buy that band at a trans ship as well as a new pump. It's been fifteen years since I have needed to do this sort of work, but the instruction booklet should be there, because the whole idea of their making the kit is for the do it yourselfer so it should be there. Call them and ask them to make sure if you are in doubt. Clean off your work bench ten times and then cover the bench with something super clean and then go to work.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So B&M actually has directions? Interesting. Looks like I'll be rebuilding my first every transmission when time permits. Thank you for the info!
The older automatics are not that hard to work on. As dilvoy said, a clean workbench is important as it is going together. I like to clean subassemblies and bag them or put them in plastic containers to keep them clean until they are installed. It is good to have a really good set of snap-ring pliers. Also air-test the piston seals. Hopefully at the end there are no leftover parts!

teteacher101

I get my kits from Northern Auto Parts, good prices, quality parts an good customer service. They also have a tech manual available to purchase with the kit, they are inexpensive an a wealth of knowledge-I recommend getting one for sure as its well worth it. As far as hard parts, I get those from a local tranny shop.

As stated earlier, clean work bench, lots of room on a work bench also, fresh tranny fluid to lube an soak parts in, Trans Jel to hold thrust washers in place, and you'll need a couple special tools; dial indicator, large snap ring pliers, compression tool or some type of home made dohicky to press clutch pack springs together an piston seal install tools are handy also. However, I have used transparency film (that stuff the boring history teacher would write on when using the over head projector) cut into strips an wrapped around the seal area as you push the new piston in place. Air check ports, clean up valve body, lots of patience and you'll be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks