• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown ABS ECU - how not to do that etc.

martinwcox

So, I may have blown up my ABS ECU in my M923. In talking with a guy at Haldex who it turns out, put together the kit for the MWO for the ABS on the M939 Series truck.
He told me that if the truck is shutdown incorrectly it’s likely that you will send a 100V+ spike down the 24v line and fry the ABS ECU. (I may well have done this by accident.)
Incorrect shutdown simply means, turn off the battery switch before shutting down the engine. The Protective Control Box(PCB) has a 32V diode but that fails and then subsequent incorrect operation causes the damage. The PCB still works but now it’s not stopping voltage spikes.
I am thinking may be add a DC-to-DC converter on the power lines to the ABS ECU and actually add some real protection to the only electronics in the entire truck.
Any other options or ideas welcome.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to him also and he told me the same thing.
You may check ebay or check with GIJoeCzar here on SS.
If not try 91w350 in KS. if that all falls I may have a place I can check to see if they have any.

You may check the two fuses that are under the dash right be the steering column. They are in-line fuses.

Good Luck.

ARYankee

I think they are saying the same thing, battery switch is shut off last.
If so then the OP needs to change his original post because the OP has the battery switch being turned off before you shut down the engine. That is why I posted the engine shutdown procedure from the TM. I just want to figure out which is correct, if there isn't an error with the OP's original post.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP did turn off the battery switch before the start /run/kill switch. You can do that on an 800 series, and get away with it(not a good idea). It is a big no no with the 900 series.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If so then the OP needs to change his original post because the OP has the battery switch being turned off before you shut down the engine. That is why I posted the engine shutdown procedure from the TM. I just want to figure out which is correct, if there isn't an error with the OP's original post.

Incorrect shutdown simply means, turn off the battery switch before shutting down the engine.

The OP doesn't need to change anything.

jw4x4

I will be watching this thread to see if someone figures out a way for actual protection. In the meantime, I will be extra careful on the shutdown sequence.

jedawson1

Where is the protective control box? I'm pretty sure I have used my one life and the next mistake will be expensive.

Would like to look at the PCB to reset the safety.

jedawson1

Thank You, do you know if this has to be replaced or does it have a reset? I'm going home on lunch to check mine out to see if it's been activated. I'm pretty sure I did an incorrect shutdown once.

martinwcox

From the conversation I had, it would seem that the protection diode fails, so that would point to opening up the PCB and replacing it (diode), I have never opened a PCB up, I think there may well be some threads related to the PCB that may help.

wsucougarx

I bought a brand new control box directly from the gov't manuf (Southern Automotive) on ebay. They have them listed for only $133. Considering others are selling them for well over $200.

martinwcox

Well the device I originally found was $150 and only good for 10A, so I found one of these for $50 which I will wire into the supply line from the PCB and protect all the circuits fed from that point, good for 150A load and clamps at 31V.

NORTHERN TECHNOLOGY 24V SURGE PROTECTOR DCB-24SM

martinwcox

I did get an ECU and valve assembly from ebay. The 15A fuse blows as soon as power is applied, unplugging the ECU, fuse is fine so st least that rules out a short to ground in the cable but confirms the ECU is a gonner!

I am about to add a surge protector to supply both the unswitched and swiched supplies to the ECU and hopefully remediate the issue.

I talked to him also and he told me the same thing.
You may check ebay or check with GIJoeCzar here on SS.
If not try 91w350 in KS. if that all falls I may have a place I can check to see if they have any.

You may check the two fuses that are under the dash right be the steering column. They are in-line fuses.

Good Luck.