• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blown fuse

dkozma

Hi Folks. '86 M1008.
problem: crank but no start, tracked down blown 20 amp fuse in fuse panel. replaced. all good.
Few weeks later, same deal. Any hints where to start looking for a short?
No controller, manual switch for glow plugs I installed years ago. Did the doghead relay fix at the same time.

richingalveston

what fuse is it that keeps blowing. you need to check that circuit.

If you let us know which fuse, we might be able to let you know the possible problems,
pictures help

Barrman

Besides telling us which fuse. Have you cleaned all of your fuse holder tabs in the fuse panel with a small nail file? Does the fuse that keep blowing fit in very loose and come out with just a slight pull? If so, use a bent pick like a dental tool to carefully bend the tabs toward the fuse a bit and things will probably be better. Of course, do check the circuit too.

dkozma

Fuse #17. Since it is intermittent failure, the suggestion of cleaning the fuse holder tabs and checking the tension of the holder
sounds like good advice. I'll let you know. Always good to get a different view on things through the members here, Thank's
guys.

dkozma

M1008 fuse #17 blowing

Hey folks, posted before about this problem. Had to leave for a week and just got back. The issue was fuse blowing when turning the key. I have a manual glow plug switch. Circuit works with the glow plugs, hence no cold starts. Looked at the engine compartment ignition circuits diagram and unplugged the "water in fuel" solenoid at the filter. Turned the key, all good. CUCV started. Of course the fast idle solenoid did not operate.
Has anybody ever had the water in fuel solenoid go bad and cause this problem?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged your new thread with old one, next time just continue the thread you started.

dkozma

Understood. And thanks. By the way, pulling the plug on the "water in fuel solenoid" was my starting point in possibly isolating the problem. I isolated something.