• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown Head Gasket? Not!

Lawrence of Arabia

Started the Deuce the other day, (10 Degree day). Hit the Either start button once as I usually do when it's that cold. Started and ran like it was running on 3 cylinders. Hissing from somewhere, but could not see where. Instantly i figured head gasket.

Warmed up yesterday so i decided to start it up and pull it into the barn for a look. Started right up and spit about a gallon of water out the stack and ran like a champ.

I have not started it in a month or 2 and we have had an unusual amount of rain. Apparently the exhaust could not get past the GIANT ICE CUBE in the bottom of the exhaust stack.

Now it wears a coffee can!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am happy to hear you did not have deep problems. The can on the stack also stops the black sooty drops of water from being blown all over nearby trucks, or the starting truck according to wind direction.
One big problem to watch for is torbo damage in a case like this if the truck is so equipped. I can can cause bent or broken blades on the exhaust side that put the turbo out of balance, leading to premature failure.
Regards Marti

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a deuce, something that works a little better when landing is a 2 liter drink bottle. Cut it about half way between the shoulder and the top neck and it will fit closely on the top of the stack, yet clear quickly when the truck is started. When it lands it won't damage other vehicles, people, or other valuables. And, if lost, it's easy and cheap to replace!2cents

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be my luck some LEO would see my two liter blow off the truck and think it was a bottle bomb...........

:-(

DeucesWild11

Hey I was always hearing about water getting in through the stack and was wondering if anyone ever put in a drain valve at the bottom of the pipe similar to those on the air tanks and fuel filters? That would remove any condensation or rain water no? However no rain water to begin with is a better idea..:beer:

goldwing2000

Banned
You can always put a standard exhaust rain cap on it. That way you won't forget to pick up your bottle, won't look ghetto and won't have to worry at all about wind. Plus you get to listen to the sweet "tink-tink-tink" when idling. :D

I hear they sell them at Tractor Supply but you'll have to verify that for yourself.

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the coffee can better myself because I hear it hit the ground when I fire it up and forget to take it off.aua

ODdave

Really? You're going to go there? Fine. $15. Steel Rain Cap, For 3-1/2 in. To 3-9/16 in. Outlet Pipes - 0235396 | Tractor Supply Company

And obviously you'd have to cut off the bent tip of the pipe. aua

Freakin' trolls always gotta find problems...

:cry: Realy?

Oh Wow. Didnt mean to hurt your feelings....

I guess stating Facts that are helpfull to somone if they decide to purchace the incorrect product you directed them to is trolling then I guess crying about it is ok too :rolleyes:

I spose if im a troll you must be a princess?

Last edited:

Tlauden

Or you can cut the bend off ;) I need to take a measurement of what size pipe I have (no turbo) Mine ALWAYS fills up with water, last time I started it my dodge got painted place :p

goldwing2000

Banned
:cry: Realy?

Oh Wow. Didnt mean to hurt your feelings....

I guess stating Facts that are helpfull to somone if they decide to purchace the incorrect product you directed them to is trolling then I guess crying about it is ok too :rolleyes:

I spose if im a troll you must be a princess?
That's right. I'm a pretty, pretty princess. You know you're jealous!

And if it makes you happy, I'll go back, take off the link and just make a general statement and people can find their own source for products. Sorry if you're butt-hurt about it! fat lady sings