• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown hub output seal

kcobean

My right rear hub output seal is blown and slinging oil on the inside of the wheel. I've ordered a new hub seal kit from eBay that includes the input and output seals, the spindle nut key washer and the plastic washer for the fill plug.

A few questions:

1. Can someone point me to correct wrench for the spindle nut?
2. Is replacing the output seal as simple as pulling the spindle nut off, pulling the spindle out, prying out the old seal, seating a new one and then re-assembling? Can it be done without the seal installer and drive handle shown in the TM?

DatGuyC

I got a 4 prong spindle socket from Advance Auto, don't remember the size and I did have to shave the prongs down a little but it works. For installing the output seal I used a pvc coupler with the cap, can't remember the size of that either but if you take the seal to Home Depot or similar they should have something. Worked pretty good.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Order 3 more kits. If one is bad the other 3 wont be too far behind. They have all been through the same crap together.

kcobean

I'll be doing this seal swap next weekend. I see the procedure calls for rotating the spindle back and forth 5x each direction to seat the bearings. I guess that means I have to disconnect the half-shaft in the process?

kcobean

Blue hummer has a really good upgrade for the spindle lock nut if your interested.

http://www.bluehummer.com/lospnutkit.html

i have no affiliation with the company.
Yup, ordered it earlier today, thanks! I figured with $8 Plus shipping for a keyed washer (minimum $20 order, plus shipping), plus trying to find a spindle nut socket, I might as well go ahead and suck it up and buy the BH kit. I just bought one for now, but will replace the others as I can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks