• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blue Hot Rod M37

Bighurt

Sorry. There's a good word to describe this truck. It's three letters long, starts with "G" and rhymes with RAY.
Since it's become in appropriate to use that word, we call it Green Apple Yellow, and most of us just drop the Yellow and call it Green Apple.

It's pretty easy to use as a replacement.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't Gary Wirth the same guy who won MVPA best in show for his restored (stock) M38 a few years back? John Bizal had some of his stuff on display on his site a while ago. If it's the same Gary I'm thinking of :oops:.

Matt
Yes, it is that Gary Wirth. His restorations have won numerous "Best in Show", etc at various MVPA events.

Storm 51

3dAngus

I agree. Years ago I was sorta anal about MVs and wanted everything as close to original as possible.
THEN I met some REALLY anal enthuasists who would argue for ten minutes about a "correct" bolt or washer or screw and I saw that was not for me.

Now days I have tried to adopt the policy that if I can't say something good then nothing is good to say!

You have a beautiful truck by the way![thumbzup][thumbzup]
And that's exactly why I would never join a car club. Those guys will just pick a car apart for no reason other then to show everyone how smart they are. It drives me nuts they gotta point out all the problems where its not PERFECT, like the new and pristine radiator fan blade should only have two blades and not four which gives better cooling.

Its kinda like calling my wife fat. Even if she is fat, I don't want to hear it and ya don't have to point it out., cause I love her just the way she is.

Now days I just say to each their own. Its your money.

Last edited:

nattieleather

@Storm 51, Your truck looks great. I love the combat rims. I think they make the M37 look meaner or tougher!

As for the crastman ship. That is some really nice work. As a guy who does custom work (okay it's in leather) but as a guy who does custom work I understand if the customer wants X and you think X looks stupid and ruines the whole thing...you may try to talk them out of it but if they say I want X then you give them X and smile when they say it's wonderful. That's just good smart business and customer service. The owners wanted their vehicles that way and he delivered. I have no problem with that.

I have no problem with either vehicle other than the square headlights. I agree those just don't work for me.

RangerBob

There's nothing wrong with Strata Blue (or in this case maybe it's cream strata blue metallic). MVs come in other than OD, as seen below. If the OP truck was ex-USAF, then the color is pretty close to correct. But not too thrilled about the Chevy chassis and the square headlights.

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Storm 51, Your truck looks great. I love the combat rims. I think they make the M37 look meaner or tougher!

As for the craftsmanship. That is some really nice work. As a guy who does custom work (okay it's in leather) but as a guy who does custom work I understand if the customer wants X and you think X looks stupid and ruins the whole thing...you may try to talk them out of it but if they say I want X then you give them X and smile when they say it's wonderful. That's just good smart business and customer service. The owners wanted their vehicles that way and he delivered. I have no problem with that.

I have no problem with either vehicle other than the square headlights. I agree those just don't work for me.

I agree with you entirely! You guys in the restoration / custom business are in a profession where you have to walk a very fine line. You try to help the customer avoid some very stupid and painful mistakes and you may provoke anger and resentment. If you don't say something you get blamed when it turns out ugly and stupid. You guys must have the patience of Saints and the political skills of Satan himself.

Thank you for the compliments on my truck, I truly appreciate it. In truth those compliments belong to Gary not me; he did the work. As for the combat wheels, I don't know about making the truck look "meaner" but they certainly give it an older, heavier, "riveted" look. The "when in doubt, make it stout" school of engineering.

The blue truck is attractive in its own way. Not to my taste, but it has its place.

I'm always very hesitant to second guess or modify a design engineer's work. I always assume he has probably considered my "improvements" and has rejected them because he has more data than I do and can spot their weaknesses. I feel like I would be acting very arrogantly in modifying his designs.

I tend to stick pretty close to strictly stock or proven modifications.

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's nothing wrong with Strata Blue (or in this case maybe it's cream strata blue metallic). MVs come in other than OD, as seen below. If the OP truck was ex-USAF, then the color is pretty close to correct. But not too thrilled about the Chevy chassis and the square headlights.
Yes, Candy Cream Strata Blue Metallic should be a new, more sensitive, artistically aware military color for Gillespie to stock and catalog. :grin: :-D

I like it!

Storm 51