• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boat towing

wkbrdngsnw

How heavy is it? I tow a 18ft with my m1009. Pre-turbo it wasn't exactly fast and egts were very high but it got the job done eventually. Biggest problem is backing down a boat ramp since it is short and the weight transfers to the rear. This makes steering difficult but has no problems making it back up the ramp. With a turbo its not really that bad.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a 21' sea ray will be a load for the 1009. I hope you are getting a load equlizing hitch, to help the rear end droop. Just remember to let the engine warm up before pulling the boat out- Makes all the difference in the world.

3dAngus

Dry weight is about 3700 pounds, roughtly, so if you add fuel, cargo and about 1000 pounds for the trailer, what is the hauling capacity of the M1009?

Make the call and verify with the guy the surge brakes are fully functional with no leaks. It is an absolute no-no without them. Not sure about it with the weight around 5000 lbs. Your call. I wouldn't hesitate with my Chevy Z-71, and good surge brakes, but dunno about a M1009 as I am unfamiliar with it. Just thought I would help out with some weight issues. Hope it helps. It's close enought. Hope there are no Mountains.

chief1983

Yeah I may still try to stick with my buddy's old Tri-Sonic, it's only about an 18' rec boat. Or I'll have to keep my buddy's F-250 running and just borrow it a lot.

wkbrdngsnw

According to the chevy brochures for the civilian blazers is around 10,000 lb total weight. Considering the truck weighs 5200 lb that's only 4800 lb of trailer, people, and gear. I've done more than that, probably around 13,000lb with a truck on a flatbed with dual axle brakes, but it wasn't a great idea.

epartsman

Class 3 Hitch, trailer with brakes, and a trans cooler and you will be fine. Towing cap of a civy blazer is 5K. Safety first travel in the slow lane leaving plenty of room to stop and you will be fine. I tow an M101a3 with rails loaded with 30+ used tires once a week with no issues using the stock pintle and thats is alot of weight. I take it easy and keep it safe.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I pulled a gen trailer with the gens. from NJ. to NE. with a 09, not a problem with the pull, but still did not change, only reinforced my WHEEL CHOCK thoughts

Anubis8472

Not familiar with the distance/terrain you're talking about, but you should be fine.
The brakes are actually quite good for an old truck, just make sure you keep them in good working condition.

Whether or not it's to much trailer has more to do with the driver then the equipment. I watched a couple driving down I75 once and I wish I had a video camera at the time. Nice shiny Escolade towing one of the smallest u-haul trailers. The trailer was literally bouncing from one wheel to the other back and forth, wagging side to side. Lady was driving, with her male companion in the pass seat. Both of them completely oblivious, despite the fact that the whole truck was being jerked side to side. I could see her fighting the steering wheel jerking back and forth violently. Traffic was parting around them, no one daring to get close to that mess. They just continued on down the road at 80-85 mph.

Take it easy, get a feel for it. Know how much distance you need to stop, and maintain it. Don't be afraid to go slow.

Mechanically speaking keep in mind that you're asking a strong, but old transmission to do a lot of work. You might think about a trans temp gauge.

Goose2448

It does have a tranny cooler, that is part of the radiator. Not the best but it works. If your gonna tow a lot, put a separate cooler in. I would think you would be okay. The gearing is no the best for towing but it will still pull it. And as long as you have good brakes on truck and trailer, you should be fine. We pull 10K trailers at work with no brakes all the time with 3/4 ton trucks. I am smart enough though no to do that.

jets1959

Not familiar with the distance/terrain you're talking about, but you should be fine.
The brakes are actually quite good for an old truck, just make sure you keep them in good working condition.

Whether or not it's to much trailer has more to do with the driver then the equipment. I watched a couple driving down I75 once and I wish I had a video camera at the time. Nice shiny Escolade towing one of the smallest u-haul trailers. The trailer was literally bouncing from one wheel to the other back and forth, wagging side to side. Lady was driving, with her male companion in the pass seat. Both of them completely oblivious, despite the fact that the whole truck was being jerked side to side. I could see her fighting the steering wheel jerking back and forth violently. Traffic was parting around them, no one daring to get close to that mess. They just continued on down the road at 80-85 mph.

Take it easy, get a feel for it. Know how much distance you need to stop, and maintain it. Don't be afraid to go slow.

Mechanically speaking keep in mind that you're asking a strong, but old transmission to do a lot of work. You might think about a trans temp gauge.
I think the max towing speed on u-haul trailers is either 45 or 55 mph.