• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed 5 ton beware

Blythewoodjoe

I was looking at a 5 ton bobber that is for sale, that's all I'll say, that I am confused about. I am wondering how people come up with weight limits, etc. I will copy and paste some of the info here:

"Hauls 10,000 pounds"
" the rear springs are of the front of a 2 1/2 ton truck"
"New XZL Michelin Military 16.00XR20, ...Tires, 53" Tall, ..... (With these Tires the Truck is 10" Higher than Stock)."

So.................
Am I thinking right when I think the deuce springs are not rated at 10,000 pounds and therefore it is not rated for a gross on the rear of 10,000, much less haul that much.
Also are 16.00 tire 20" taller than 11.00's. That is what it would take to make the truck 10" higher, right. Really, am I missing something here?

eldgenb

on a 5t bobber, WHY would you use deuce front springs, and not 5t springs to start with ??????
because an unloaded bobbed 5 ton with 5 ton front springs in the rear with beat the fillings out of your teeth. This truck they he is talking about is not mine but I build all of my 5 ton bobbers with deuce front springs and all of my deuces with trailer springs for this reason. However I do not encourage people to haul 5 tons with them either.

Barrman

The military tires have 100% sidewall aspect ratios when it is written as 11.00 or 16.00. That means that a tire 11.00 inches wide will have an 11 inch sidewall as well. Times that by 2 because the sidewall is on the top and bottom, add in the rim size to get how tall the tire is. 11+11+20=42. 16+16+20=52.

I don't know enough about the bobber springs to comment on that.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be important with one rear axle to consider the tires' weight rating when calculating the capacity of the vehicle.....

eldgenb

It would be important with one rear axle to consider the tires' weight rating when calculating the capacity of the vehicle.....
the 16.00 20's have over a 10k lbs per tire load rating. No issue there. I would say that you could safely haul upwards of three tons on the deuce springs in a 5 ton, any more than that and you would need to add air bags to get the front end back down. The 5 ton truck is rated for 10 tons on road so a bobbed truck with one axle it technically ok at 10k lbs but I would not recommend it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks