• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed axle placement

DaneGer21

What’s the consensus on placement of the axle when bobbing a deuce? Meaning…

1. Use a plumb bob to mark the “middle” axles placement. Do the work, and place axle back in the same location to reuse the driveshaft.

2. Or, I’ve read a few instances where guys have moved the axle back 5”. Mark axle location, do the work, then measure back 5” and mount axle. Have the driveshaft reworked.

What’s your thought? What’s your preference? Does the 5” allow for larger tires? Or what’s the reason behind that?

I’m not doing a lift or anything special so crazy big tires isn’t a requirement.

I know there’s lots of threads, and lots of pictures out there, but not all mention their exact setup, or any little tid bits they came across. Especially the pics; it’s just, well a picture with zero explanation.

So again, when you, or a buddy, or you helping a buddy, bobbed a deuce, where did you end up mounting the “new rear” axle? Same location? Further back? Etc?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rustystud

What’s the consensus on placement of the axle when bobbing a deuce? Meaning…

1. Use a plumb bob to mark the “middle” axles placement. Do the work, and place axle back in the same location to reuse the driveshaft.

2. Or, I’ve read a few instances where guys have moved the axle back 5”. Mark axle location, do the work, then measure back 5” and mount axle. Have the driveshaft reworked.

What’s your thought? What’s your preference? Does the 5” allow for larger tires? Or what’s the reason behind that?

I’m not doing a lift or anything special so crazy big tires isn’t a requirement.

I know there’s lots of threads, and lots of pictures out there, but not all mention their exact setup, or any little tid bits they came across. Especially the pics; it’s just, well a picture with zero explanation.

So again, when you, or a buddy, or you helping a buddy, bobbed a deuce, where did you end up mounting the “new rear” axle? Same location? Further back? Etc?

Thanks!
It's really all up to you. What look are you going for ? Tonka truck on steroids or long frame utility vehicle. I personally like the look of a Tonka truck on steroids. Though a long frame utility vehicle is more usefull .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will assume you are going with a cut down Deuce bed and not a 105 and all parts from a Deuce front end. Yea 105 bed lots of measuring to get tub and bed gap correct. Then there is the cut down Deuce bed and not so much alinement since no wheel well but then there is the discussions about drive shaft lenght. Been over ten years since I bobbed a Deuce so how much I did to the propeller shaft is in one of my post's on bobbing a Deuce. I know you said you checked the forum for threads on bobbing and I did just a quick Google SS threads and it brought up lots of SS threads. All I do remember I used my magnet drill and annular bit to get a well drilled hole for the spring hanger bolts and I used a 105 bed. Maybe someone who has bobbed a Deuce will chime with there specs so measure four times and drill holes once.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as a side note a bob Deuce for street use is really cool. Offroad it needs lockers in rear and maybe the front if price is not to bad. I did not put lockers in my bob Deuce but did put them in the rears of my bob 809 5 tons. I was not worried about how much to cut off the frame as I was in axle placement. For some reason I believe there was a cross member the had three rivets and for my measurement I wanted I removed one of the rivets and installed the front spring hanger in the hole that was now open. Then I just set the rear hanger to the correct measurement that they need to be set at. On yours you do not need to go quite as far forward because you are using a Deuce bed not 105 like me. If I remember to get slip joint correct and not go over on propeller lenght if I remember I add four inches to it. It was not a bad job removing and replacing everything but I did have cranes to help me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks