• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed, but still a 6x6?

surewriting

the other day, i was out on my bicycle doing my 20-mile training ride loop, when i stumbled upon what appeared to be 2 deuces in a parking lot, so of course i immediately ride over to check it out (assuming they were SS members).

what i saw surprised me, and after talking with the owner for a couple of minutes i learned that one of the deuces was totally stock, and the other was bobbed, but still a 6x6! he said what they do is cut off about 2 ft of bed, and then move both axles forward about 2 feet or so, and then lift it (it looked like it was the extra frame that was cut off for the bobbing welded and plated on under the original frame, as a lower mount for the shackles, and thus a bigger lift). it also had a roll-bar mounted on it (pretty darn hefty by the look of it), as well as a spare tire mount right behind flat in the bed. he said he was selling it for about $10000, w/w (id love to have it, but $7.00/hr isnt exactly conducive to the green fever)

i didnt get any pictures (d'oh!):roll:, as when i ride, i try to travel light.

he said hed never heard of SS, but he ran a company that specialized in doing that bob-job for the deuce, called bulldog military conversions. he said he didnt have a website, but he could be contacted at bulldogmilitaryconversions@yahoo.com. i dont recall his name, but he said the chief fabricator he has does all the work down in flordia (not sure where exactly, so if any of you florida members know who im talking about let me know, thanks).

anyways, i just thought it was pretty interesting, and is a neat twist on the traditional bobbing.

i love the look of a nice bob job, but at the same time, i love the idea of 6-wheel drive

lelanddunne

ive seen some of their trucks, every so often or so , they will post one on ebay to sell,. they look great and different all at the same time.. i never saved their ebay name , but like you said they are out of flordia..
if you want one though, why dont you just make one your self? your in the heartland of cheap deuces, buy one move the wheels up and cut off the end for 60% less in price.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall where I scanned this pic. Notice the fuel tank in the bed. Seems like this truck would always try to go straight ahead on poor traction surfaces.

Attachments

tm america

there was one on flea bay a while back that was bobbed still 6x6 and had 395s on it .i was concerned about the driveshaft angles of the shaft between the tranfer case and front axle at full flex? it looked good but didnt like the idea of the gas tank in the bed either i'm sure you could fit a good sized tank between the rear frame rails

surewriting

yep! thats the one!

@ grounded: well shoot, just wait a coupla years for me to scrape up the cash and youve got yourself a deal!:-D lol stll just a poor college student, and besides, most of my extra cash goes towards my bicycle hobby/obsession lol. ive got cool old 70's cruiser tandem bicycle to fix up first, then my stupid truck. but one day, i will have a 6x6!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks