• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce 5th wheel install

shannondeese

I put my deuce under the knife this weekend. I pulled the bed and cut and welded some mounts for a 5th wheel hitch. The way I have it mounted I can put the bed back on right over the hitch. Next is getting power dropped to 12 volts for the camper battery charger, running lights and brake lights. Any help in that department would be awesome.

Attachments

rustystud

I see a major problem here. Your hitch should be over or just ahead of the differential, not behind. This is going to cause stability issues as your truck will start "see-sawing" from front to rear. If it was me I would cut off some more frame and put the hitch just in front of the differential.
Other than that it looks great ! I love the idea of towing your fifth wheel with the deuce.

Last edited:

tobyS

I see a major problem here. Your hitch should be over or just ahead of the differential, not behind. This is going to cause stability issues as your truck will start "see-sawing" from front to rear. If it was me I would cut off some more frame and put the hitch just in front of the differential.
Other than that it looks great ! I love the idea of towing your fifth wheel with the deuce.
Or move the axle back.

tommys2patrick

From the photo it looks like you have an auxiliary radiator behind the cab. Oil cooler? Does it work well? I suppose the fifth wheel sits just below the frame rails so you can drop the bed back on when needed. Rusty Stud has a good point. That location might also affect the trailer kicking out to outboard side when you make turns as well. Not a biggy i suppose if you plan ahead and have good visibility on the trailer.

shannondeese

It's the AC condenser. I have a fan on it to keep a good amount of airflow through it. I had it mounted under the bed before. I chose to mount the hitch just in front of the rear spring hanger so I would have enough room to open the generator compartment at the front of the camper and not have to unhook. As for towing it tows straight and true. I don't go over 50 mph with it. Stopping is ok. Once I get the air over hydraulic brakes on the trailer it'll stop much better. I put the same set up on my big flatbed trailer. It'll drag the deuce to a stop in a hurry.

tobyS

I'm sure someone with an M105 would have your air over hydraulic unit. If it is applying too hard, perhaps a flow control would slow it's operation down just a bit.

shannondeese

It is actually a winch truck. I just have the winch off right now. The truck is 11,400 with with the winch and the bed. So lets loose 1500 lbs with those off. The camper is 11,190 lbs dry. So all told I'm at roughly 21,000 lbs. Thats 9,000 less than what I had rolling from California to Florida a few years back with the same deuce.

HanksDeuce

Next is getting power dropped to 12 volts for the camper battery charger, running lights and brake lights. Any help in that department would be awesome.
Feel free to browse my pictures below of how I added a Vanner 50 amp equalizer and a pair of auxiliary power panels (12v and 24v) to the inside back of the deuce cab. Plenty of power for everything I need in both voltages.
24 volt loads = 2 A/C condenser fans wired in series, backup beeper + rear LEDs wired to auto transmission reverse switch, front/rear lights + turn signals, instrument panel lights.
12 volt loads = Autometer gauges, Horton fan clutch, A/C blower, accessory plug, dual USB chargers, battery meters.
http://hanksdeuce.com/12v_24v_systems.htm

Converted to 2 civilian batteries from O'Reilly's:
http://hanksdeuce.com/batteries_and_cables.htm

KsM715

As for towing it tows straight and true.
Ho many times have you towed it and what different conditions have you towed it in? I agree that that set up is not the most ideal set up. You get in a strong cross wind and it pushes you once and you have to correct it quick things could get out of hand fast. Couple that with your marginal brakes and well......you do the math and figure out what consequences you are happy living with

tobyS

I think e-trailer has the brake components you'll need. I have a couple sets of Dexters if you get in a pinch.

shannondeese

Thank you for the input about the vanner system. That's what I've been looking for. And I'm now looking at the e trailer site. I have only towed the camper about 15 miles so far. I moved it from my dads where it's been under the pole barn for 3 years to my house to do some much needed PMs before I can use it again.

M275Fan

I have no room to tell another man how to build his truck, but if I were to be building this I would cut the frame just behind the rear leaf shackle and reinstall the aft cross member there. From there, I would add bumperetts if the bed were to be put back on and mount the tail lights by the rear shackle mounts. This would allow the hitch to be mounted above, if not forward of, the diff. It however is not my truck so its up to you to decide the best course of action.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks