• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce and the rear axle hop.

ShaggyTheGreat

Hello all, I am sure if you are the owner of a bobbed deuce you have experienced the awful rear end hop if you start slipping on a hill. I myself had the idea get some custom made that were softer and use airbags if you need to haul a heavy load, any ideas on where/what cost might be to have these fabricated custom for a deuce? Does anyone know if there are any leaf sets that would fit and be softer than the ones present?

• :driver:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the hop caused by the wind-up of the springs. I would try fitting some torque arms. Even heavy trailers have a type of them, so they don't start bouncing/hopping, in sever brake applications. Keep the axles on the ground, and performance is enhanced.

oddshot

Interesting. I bobbed mine quite some time ago and I have never had any problems with axle hop. When I built/installed the rear suspension I used all the leaves from the M-105 springs plus a couple I took off the Deuce. I've never had any need to add traction bars, but then, I've never taken my truck off road.

BTW, MGB were notorious for rear axle wind-up and wheel hop under acceleration. When I was racing these cars, I cured the problem just by adding one extra leaf to each side. The modification was simple, cheap and effective.

Attachments

Last edited: