• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce - Covington Ga????

Makincold

I'm hoping to find someone with a bobbed deuce (or a bobbed 5-ton) within driving distance of Covington GA (zip 30014)
I have the bug, the itch, the need, the want, the whatever for a bobbed deuce, but would like to find someone to talk to about their truck and see it up close and personal. Find out what you like and don’t like about the conversion. Just need someone to learn from
So if anyone can help bring me into the fold I'd greatly appreciate the help
:beer:

asgtoolman

I'm sure there are closer bobbed deuces; but I am probably 3 hours from you in Florence SC
143 miles from GA/SC line on I-20.
The heavy work on mine is being finished next week in NC at John Winslow's. I had done several months of research and finally pulled the pin in early July. John and Pete made everything easy-including the price, in my opinion.
I redid my M-38 in 2009 and my M-274 this year but did not want to tackle a 13,000 lb project by myself, so I had them bob it and put the bed on it, sandblast and paint it
I plan on repainting it piece by piece and adding several improvements over the winter
If you have not visited their site, do -J Winslow Sales- I believe
If you want to make a trip to Florence in 2 or 3 weeks, let me know

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Loony Bin.:cookoo:

There is no support group because we never want to quit.

There should be a bobber in your area.

If you want to meet a bunch of the similarly addicted make plans to attend the GA Rally in late October.

More MV's than you can shake a stick at and food, friends and fun.

It's a family event.

Makincold

Thanks, I may have to come to Columbia SC in the next few weeks on business and it would be a perfect opportunity to come take a look!
As for the GA Rally I already have plans to attend and bring my M274 but want to feed the addiction sooner!
Thanks again guys!

asgtoolman

Thanks, I may have to come to Columbia SC in the next few weeks on business and it would be a perfect opportunity to come take a look!
As for the GA Rally I already have plans to attend and bring my M274 but want to feed the addiction sooner!
Thanks again guys!
You may want to feed the addiction sooner, but don't rush into anything!
Spending time looking and researching is CHEAP [and fun]-There will always be good deals out there-
The more I look around, the more I realize I could have really screwed up if I had let my immediate desires run my wallet.
Everyone on this site and most of the suppliers I have talked with are very helpful and shoot straight
Now for the comment I am sure I will get blasted for--Deuces and parts for them aren't really that expensive [at least not $/pound-a lot cheaper than hamburger meat]
As with most things in life, the ANTICIPATION is often more exciting than the real thing

airmech3839

You may want to feed the addiction sooner, but don't rush into anything!
Spending time looking and researching is CHEAP [and fun]-There will always be good deals out there-
The more I look around, the more I realize I could have really screwed up if I had let my immediate desires run my wallet.
Everyone on this site and most of the suppliers I have talked with are very helpful and shoot straight
Now for the comment I am sure I will get blasted for--Deuces and parts for them aren't really that expensive [at least not $/pound-a lot cheaper than hamburger meat]
As with most things in life, the ANTICIPATION is often more exciting than the real thing

That could be said for lots of things!! Sex comes to mind first though!!rofl

Makincold

Instant gratification!!!!!!
Well I'm trying to wait and make the right choice
I keep going from bobbed deuce, bobbed 5- ton, bobbed m35A3
everyone has there own ideas, me too....
That's why I'm trying to find one to drive before I decide
Actually today I'm leaning to a bobbed M818 with an M105 trailer bed
But check back tomorrow, that could change!!!!
Thanks for all the advice and way to many hours on this site trying to decide

asgtoolman

I started out thinking that an M35a3 with an M105 bed was the way to go, but after seeing an a3 next to a standard M35 I immediately changed my mind. IMO the a3 is too bulky and just doesn't cut it looks-wise and also IMO anything this big HAS TO HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION . I can't imagine putting it in gear and forgetting about shifting.
Mine is an M35 with an M101a3/M116 bed. The fenders on the 116 bed line up perfectly with the front fenders on the truck and come very close to covering the 14x20 tires on custom rims with 6-1/2" offset bolted to flipped hubs.