• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed in Ohio?

humble1

Anyone own a bobbed deuce in Ohio? Any problems with registering it or explaining the work you've had done? Finally, any recommendations on near by people to do the change, it's definitely beyond my skill level.

jason

Blood_of_Tyrants

Beyond your skill level? Jeez, if you can operate a torch, a drill and basic hand tools, you can do the job yourself. Springs from the front suspension of a deuce or the springs off an M105 trailer will work.

humble1

Gimpyrobb, I live just outside of Mt. Vernon Ohio, one hour east of Columbus, directly on route 62. It is good to know that the bob is fairly easy, I have been reading a lot here for the last two years while trying to save money and while i feel much more comfortable with engines then I do with chassis work, I may be willing to try because I have good friends who have welding and machine work experience. I have to purchase an A3 because I cant use my left foot, despite all of the A3's draw backs. Trust me I would really prefer a Kaiser-Jeep (originally from Toledo Ohio) with a Hercules motor (built just down the street from where i grew up Canton Ohio) but life is what it is.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If you are willing to pay the extra bucks for and A3, then consider getting an A2 and an old school bus with a 5.9L Cummins and an Allison transmission and performing a heart transplant. The only place you will have problems with the transfer is converting your truck over to 12 vdc and that isn't much of a problem. Or if you prefer to keep the multifuel engine, you can just swap the manual Spicer tranny with a rebuilt Allison automatic transmission.

humble1

wow, you guys are bound and determined to get me into trouble. I love the reliability and performance of the 5.9 in all of it's forms. But..... here is a brief list of the problems I see,

- Getting the truck to my house (can't drive stick)
- Getting the 5.9 and allison to the house (it just won't fit into my Grand Am)
- new engine mounts
- new transmission crossmember
- new drive shaft
- new oil pan
- new electrics
- various in-sundry things

now that I make the list it doesn't sound so bad.....

looks like i am going to be doing some reading on doing a 5.9 swap

russ81

Humble1,

I live south west of Cambridge, Ohio.

- new engine mounts I made my own mounts.........check out my War Pig page
- new transmission crossmember easy to fabricate
- new drive shaft any drive line shop can modify and rebalance
- new oil pan not needed. Stock 5.9 works just fine
- new electrics buy a wrecked truck. All components will be included
- various in-sundry things again...buy a wrecked truck

I'm currently in Missouri working, but when I come home on weekend leave you could come over and see what I have done.

PM me.

Rusty

1stSarge

Hi Humble1, I’m just east of Mt Vernon not far from Martiansburg, about 15 minutes out from Apple Valley.
Always willing to help out on a MV. The MV show in Maringo is this weekend.

Last edited:

humble1

It is great to meet so many other guys who are interested in trucks. I am sure I am going to need some help, and I am always willing to lend a hand if needed (that way I get to play with trucks without having to actually buy one!) Hope to get out to Maringo this weekend. Now if my GPS can just find it.

jason

Blood_of_Tyrants

If you buy a whole bus or truck, you can even take the power steering system and transplant it into the deuce. And a deuce with air conditioning is the holy grail of deuces.:drool::beer:

jimm1009

Unless someone has a physical handicap or weakness in the left leg ANYONE can learn to drive a stick shift and the Deuce is one of the easiest to learn in.

Put that truck in low range out in the country and go for it.
In 20 miles with lots of starting and stopping you will get it down.

I promise you, anyone can learn to drive these trucks and if you are over 5 feet tall and under 6 1/2 feet tall you will be reasonable comfortable behind the wheel.
Taller people need some modifications to feel better in the drivers seat but that is doable too.

jimm1009

humble1

So, I made a quick stop at Marengo today and was very impressed by the many well done jeeps that were there. I just now read the show thread, and I kick myself for not making a fool out of myself and just randomly introducing myself at the Buckeye tent. I really should have just walked up to people and started introducing myself. Oh well...next time. I was really glad i was able to walk around some of the display trucks and really get a good look at them. That M123a1c would look really good parked in my yard! If it had been a M125, it would be home right now, stick shift or not! After today, I look forward to keeping my mouth shut, reading lots, and working hard to become a good truck owner.

Jimm, I know most anyone can learn to drive a stick, unfortunately, I have cerebral palsy that very slightly affects my left leg. Could I operate the clutch? Probably. Do I ever want to have some one get hurt because my foot got tired/slipped/or something else during a panic stop? No. So I choose to limit myself to trucks with automatics. It sucks sometimes. But it is what it is and I am not going to let that bring me down. At least I get to drive and work on trucks still!

Now back to reading about doing the 5.9 swap.....

Have a great Sunday!

jason humble

jimm1009

I truely hope that you find one that fits your needs.
Good luck and please let us know what you end up with.

And, if you don't include a couple of pictures heaven help you. :lol:

jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks