• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber 20K PTO Rear Winch

I thought I would put a PTO winch off of a 5 ton on the rear of my Bobber. I bought a winch and mounted it between the frame rails behind the rear spring perches. Bought a transfercase PTO and made a propeller shaft. The PTO I bought had clutch dogs with a huge ramp on one side and a square shoulder on the other side. Does that mean this PTO was for a hydraulic pump? Like for a fire truck? and only spins in one direction?

I bought another set of clutch dogs that are supposed to be for a winch (the dog on the left in the pictures). These have a square shoulder on both sides. However, it is one inch too long to work with the PTO housing I have. Since I've never had my hands on any other transfercase PTO's I'm not sure what my solution is.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

KsM715

I just picked up (actually removed) a transfercase PTO off a deuce fire truck today. It has square shoulder dog clutch on both sides. The ramped one you have sounds like it is meant to spin in one direction only.

Sorry, Not much help

spicergear

A local machine shop can probably turn down that tall one to the length of the short one. I'd do that. I doubt if the part is really tough either.

Dave08

The PTO that you have may be a hydraulic PTO from a 900 Series Truck. Try PCTRANS, they have a lot of 5 ton parts and they may be able to assist. I have had several emails with Pete concerning PTOs and such. Here is his email address: pandctrans@gmail.com. Give him a try. He is a SS Member (PCTRANS) and is on the forum a lot. I think he can assist you and more than likely even has the correct part you may be looking for off of one of his trucks.
I hope this helps.

I would like to see pictures of your set up when it is done. I think there are several of us that would like to modifiy their MVs with a rear mounted winch.
Dave08

The PTO that you have may be a hydraulic PTO from a 900 Series Truck. Try PCTRANS, they have a lot of 5 ton parts and they may be able to assist. I have had several emails with Pete concerning PTOs and such. Here is his email address: pandctrans@gmail.com. Give him a try. He is a SS Member (PCTRANS) and is on the forum a lot. I think he can assist you and more than likely even has the correct part you may be looking for off of one of his trucks.
I hope this helps.

I would like to see pictures of your set up when it is done. I think there are several of us that would like to modifiy their MVs with a rear mounted winch.
Dave08
Thanks for the lead. I'll give him a try. I do have some pictures of the winch mounted, if I can find them I'll post 'em.

Thanks again,
Greg

Booger, which PTO do you have? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/700076-post15.html

If you have the 5Ton PTO it will not mount up. I just went out this morning to see if the deuce t-case PTO I picked up yesterday would mount to my 5ton. It will not fit. The 5ton pto is larger in both mounting diameter and the size of the mainshaft in the t-case.

I do have a 2 1/2 ton PTO, it does bolt up and work.

Can you see if the clutch dog in your PTO is a short one or a long one?

KsM715

It's short. It bolts onto the end of the main shaft in the t-case. I have heard the some are held on with a small set screw on the side of the dog.

Let me see if I can find a pic.

Edit: pic found.

I'll go out in the morning and get a better pic and some measurements and I remember seeing some numbers stamped into it I'll get those too.

2nd edit: comparing my pic to yours, it looks like the "teeth" on the dog are different. The pieces where the 2 clutches come together.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's short. It bolts onto the end of the main shaft in the t-case. I have heard the some are held on with a small set screw on the side of the dog.

Let me see if I can find a pic.

Edit: pic found.

I'll go out in the morning and get a better pic and some measurements and I remember seeing some numbers stamped into it I'll get those too.

2nd edit: comparing my pic to yours, it looks like the "teeth" on the dog are different. The pieces where the 2 clutches come together.
Both of his pictured are showing the one half that slides on the splines INSIDE the PTO housing, controlled by the fork.
None of them seem to belong to the P-136-C TC PTO.

More pics here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/52365-p-t-o-removal-m35-4.html#post605046

Attached is another picture of the version held in place by a central bolt.
I can get the exact measurements of the (correct) other half if needed.

G.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gringeltaube is right, The pics the OP posted are for the sliding collar inside the PTO. I'm thinking you could machine one of them to work on the input shaft though. You'll also have to drill and tap a hole in the side of the collar for a setscrew to hold it in place.

Making one may be your only option short of buying another PTO.

Both of his pictured are showing the one half that slides on the splines INSIDE the PTO housing, controlled by the fork.

More pics here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/52365-p-t-o-removal-m35-4.html#post605046

G.
Gringeltaube,

The dog you have pictured is the one I have on my t case. It's mate however, INSIDE the PTO, is too long by about an inch. I can modify this one but would prefer finding one an inch shorter.

Thanks for your input,

KsM715

I hope this helps.

Dave08

Here are some pictures of mocking up a 5 ton winch on the rear of a Bobber.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
do you have the side mount plates for it, will make mounting a lot easier as the top angle will sit on top of the rails, also the bottom angles, look in the 5t 20p or the 34p to see what I mean

G.
I got the right gear or 'clutch dog' today. I'll post some pictures later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks