• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber help. need advice on removing bogie rivets

mattyboy

As title says i need advice. i got side rivets out by torching heads off then heating rivet , air chiseled out. the ones on inside of frame are driving me crazy. i have removed and and ground flat with frame all rivets on the top and done nothing with the bottoms. i destroyed my torch today( got so hot melted the inards of oxy lever valve. i am almost to the point of hacking bogie into a million pieces, removing axles and then dealing with those rivets. any advice would be appriciated i have lots of tools and a lift to get things done. on a side note i have been laughing at myself for actauly thinking that as xm381,s site says 3EASY STEPS. while very helpful there are more like 300 steps just 3 big ones and lots of little stuff. hahahahahahahahahahahaha end of a 90 hour week and very hot for me here.:drool:

i was thinking of renting plamsa cutter but fear same result as with torch , hot lava pool and no real pentration.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have done quite a few,torch the head off,heat them up.Weld a handle on a good chiesel,and have someone help you beat them out..

misterbill64

I just did this last month, torch off the top of the rivets, torch off the bottom of the rivets , then take the torch and blow a hole strait through the remaining rivet. Hit it with a punch and hammer and it will fall right out nice and easy!:naner:

mike101

I have done quite a few,torch the head off,heat them up.Weld a handle on a good chiesel,and have someone help you beat them out..
vise grips work good for holding a chisel. After I torch the head off the rivet I would always just hit what is left of the rivet with a big ball peen hammer and the rivet would shoot out like a bullet, just need good aim

197thhhc

The rivets in the frame are tougher but here is how we do it. Torch off the heads (which you have done). Then take a hydraulic jack, we use a 20 ton, set it on the trunion toward the left side. There is a frame crossmember above the trunion. Crank on the jack and the frame and bogey will pop apart. Then do the other side. Just be careful around the jack in case it slips.

welldigger

A pneumatic angle drill and a short drill bit works wonders on those things. In me and my buddies case lifting the rear end with a trackhoe helped shake her loose.

Grind the head off center punch the center of the rivet .Then drill a 5/16 hole through most of the rivet then use a 1/4 punch to drive out the rivet the drilled hole and smaller punch will let the steel push in ward . Good luck I realy hate rivets .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always cut the head off and then take the torch and blow a hole through the center (taking care not to cut into the frame). Blowing the hole through the center seems to give them some relief.

aheilmann68

I do it the no fun way except for flying glowing metal slugs. I use a plasma cutter with a gouging nozzle, cut the heads off, blow a little hole in the center then use a pneumatic chisel to punch the hot slugs out. Took all of 15 minutes

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I cut the heads off with a thin disc on my big angle grinder and then center drilled the rivet leaving a ledge all the way around to put the flat head of the punch on (you do not want to get a smaller punch into the hole). Then applied sufficient force with a BFH to knock out the offending rivet. Be real careful if you use "Soldier B" to whack the punch with the BFH while you are holding it.
Even with all the rivets out it was a beotch to get the rears and mountings to come loose. We picked the rear end of the truck up and dropped it a couple of times and out they came.

mattyboy

Got it bit more torch time and bottle Jack did the trick. Done now to sell dropside and find trailer.

DUECE-COUPE

After you grind off the heads of the little rivets that hold the trunion to the frame, use a small chisel to work you way between the frame and the trunion. After get separation started, use a fatter chisel to separate the frame from the trunion. Come off quick if there are tires and wheels on each hub. I put the out ttire and wheel back on each hub, and make sure the entire rear or the truck is off the ground and supported be jack stand behind the cab. This will low the weight if the rear suspension. To work for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks