• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber Rear Axle Problem

rustystud

I have some early deuces (1954) and a 1988. The early models "do not" have locater pins. My 1988 deuce does. When did they start using locater pins ? I don't know, but somewhere between 1954 and 1988 they started using them probably to fix a shifting of the axle problem. For those who may say my early deuces had them but they rusted away, well the saddles have "NO" provision for a stud.
So your both right Floridianson and FarmerRob.

P.S. Didn't you tell me your real name Floridianson ? I must not have written it down. My short term memory is not what it used to be, but I can remember things that happened in the 1960's and 70's and 80's like it was yesterday !

Last edited:

FarmerRob

I have some early deuces (1954) and a 1988. The early models "do not" have locater pins. My 1988 deuce does. When did they start using locater pins ? I don't know, but somewhere between 1954 and 1988 they started using them probably to fix a shifting of the axle problem. For those who may say my early deuces had them but they rusted away, well the saddles have "NO" provision for a stud.
Good to know. Are those early trucks equipped with Rockwell axles? But I have to say, anybody who would bob a '54 deuce should probably be flogged. :p

rustystud

Then that tells me somebody figured out that running without pins wasn't a good idea and they fixed it in later models. :)
That's what I think also. You got to admit these trucks can go in crazy places and those axles are getting all twisted up this way and that way so some axle shift was bound to happen. Hence the axle locaters.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well mine were there when it was put together and cleaning my glasses, putting them on I found what was left if the pins in the front.
What is funny the rears are rock solid no rust.
It's on my sig line Rusty you need to barrow my glasses. LOL

Jeepsinker

I believe you, I'm just telling you that some deuces I've worked on have had Timken tags on the axles instead of Rockwell. That what the old ball and claw front shafts were out of too, those were Timken shafts.

Jeepsinker

Rusty, they are exactly the same in every way, except the front axles had the ball and claw shafts, and the brake drums all have larger grease/ crud escape holes.

tobyS

Put them on, center them and weld a very small block of metal on each side...problem solved.

Myself, I'm using the perches off the 105 to get a wider, outside of the frame mount. I'm also reinforcing the frame with (2) L's formed 13.00" x 3.0" x 1/4" x 8' and making the bottom 5" below the existing frame. Of course with some gusseting.